question about home births

Do you go to the hospital after the baby is born or what?
how to you go about getting a birth certificate and such?

kaddiefrass

Asked by kaddiefrass at 8:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm going to be having a homebirth any day now. No, we won't go to the hospital unless there is some reason for transfer of care. When you plan a homebirth, the state you live in has to give you a packet that contains birth certificate forms, antibiotics for the eyes, and the PKU test.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My DIL stayed home after the birth and had a pediatrician appoinment for the baby within a week. She was taken care of by her midwife in several home visits. She got the birth certificate at the town hall a few weeks later.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Like the other poster mentioned, our dd will see her pediatrician within 72 hours and my midwives will visit often.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• many times the midwife will have all the paperwork needed for the birth certificate and she will help you fill it out.
    If you have a unassisted or unplanned homebirth with no medical professional in attendance, you can just go to your local vital statistics office and do the paperwork there.

And no, there is no need to go to the hospital after a homebirth unless there is a medical need to transfer. :) And you can always call 911 and have the EMT's there assess the situation and if you and baby are well, you can refuse a hospital transfer.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 9:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• since its illegal to deliver a baby at home here in ga {they refuse to license home birth midwives} if i wanted to have mine at home id have to make it "accidental" then go to hospital right after..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Kitty --- I am curious just what would they do if you waited 3 days? Or just called your dr. to inform then you had the baby & would be staying home until you got your energy back!
    That law is just crazy... My baby. My body. My choice!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010