How to sew piping without a special foot?

My mom gave me like 4 yards of awesome camo fabric so I could make my son some stuff and I decided to make her a purse out of it as a thank you as well. I decided for some freaking reason that I would attempt piping for the first time on said purse. I got the lining all done and was about to start on the outside when I realized hey idiot you don't have a foot that will make this easy. Has anyone ever used just a regular foot for piping? I see that being a disaster. I have a Singer Simple that does not have an adjustable needle so that makes it fun too. I don't have a zipper foot as that would work... We went to Jo-Ann's to get me a piping foot but they were $25 and hubby said no way. any ideas or should I just not do the piping at all?

mommyporter

Asked by mommyporter at 8:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I did my piping by hand because I wanted it really snug and tight. Plus it was not my strong suit doing it on the machine. It was a lot of work sometimes, but I like hand done work and it was worth it to me.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My zipper foot is also my piping foot..have you tried your zipper foot? That would be A LOT of work by hand, I sure would hate to have to do it that way.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't think I have a zipper foot but I'd have to look. Doing it by hand would be a lot of work but I just may have to do it.
    mommyporter

Comment by mommyporter (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I actually tried it last night with the normal foot and it worked perfecyly. I was using a thin piping and it wasn't too bad.
    mommyporter

Comment by mommyporter (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Outstanding!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010