My brother inlaw, wife and child moved back to our area. My mother inlaw has practically forgotten my children exist since. How do I handle this?

My children have been her life for the last 8 and 17 years. Now that my brother inlaw, his wife and 2 year old daughter have moved back from Mexico, she barely finds time for my son. I understand that she is happy to have them back, but this is so disappointing to my youngest son. She went from her everything to the back burner. How do I handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's a toughy. You need to tell her how her lack of attention is making your kids feel. Maybe she can include them in her visits w/ their cousin. Or at least find a balance w/ her spare time. If you talk to her from the heart, Im sure she will understand & adjust her free time to include g-ma time w/ your kids. You're right, it's probably the excitement of having them back, & wanting to make up for lost time. Maybe you can all have some get togethers & you could host the first one to welcome them home. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would just give it some time and they are probably making up for lost time and things will even out.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She may not have noticed yet because she's making up for lost time....I'd gently tell her that her other grandchild is feeling left out, and then leave the rest up to her.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Can your DH talk to her and discuss it? Can you make an effort to have her over a little more often for awhile? Maybe things will settle down after the newness of the others being back wears off a little. (I don't know how recent their move was) I'm sorry this is happening. Try to come up with some ideas with your DH to help the situation and keep all family members happy.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Let her know. If yours was so important she will care that he is hurting and try to work with it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She knows what it is doing to him. She offered to pick him up at school. He was so excited...only to have her show up 30 minutes late with her daughter in law and granddaughter, because she wanted to show them around the school her 2 year old granddaughter might go to some day. She couldn't even drive past their house and pick him up from school on time.
    sue395

Answer by sue395 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010