What's a union?

do they make money? provide a service for a fee?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 9:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, they make money. It would be foolish to think they don't. Are they supposed to be non-profit? Yes.
    Are they a good thing? Personally, I don't believe so, HOWEVER with unfair business practices foisted on janitors and those types of jobs, I understand them. The AFL-CIO is a crooked as my dog's back legs.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 9:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• A union is an organized group of workers who collectively bargain for wages and benefits. The members pay dues. The dues go to pay representatives who negotiate on their behalf. Sometimes the dues are used to pay lawyers. The dues also go to an emergency fund to pay out to workers who are engaged in a strike. The union members decide on the amount of dues they pay, they democratically elect the representatives, and they also vote on how much they pay their representatives.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• And, to continue your definition ecodani, they spend the pension funds of the members to pay huge salaries to the union "boss", they are "in bed with the mafia" (re: Jimmy Hoffa), they spend millions of union dues to get politicians elected, and they risk the jobs of their members demanding ridiculous benefits that result in the prices of the goods to increase to a point that the companies have been forced to take their businesses off shore. Then, when the members do retire, there is no money in the pension fund to pay their retirement because of poor management and bad investments (campaign contributions too!) and the gov't is forced so swoop in and bail out the unions. The unions work for the management's behalf and not the members.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• An outdated idea that has gone from an organization serving an ideal to an organization serving the bank accounts of its executives.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with Jesse and NP!! As a teacher, (who has had a very successful career in the private sector) I am confident in my work ethic and ability to handle my job, that I do not need someone telling me they know how to "argue" on my behalf, or save my money for retirement!! I had no problem investing my money prior to becoming a teacher!!

I wish i could "opt out" of my teacher's union...but to "opt out" still means I am REQUIRED to pay 90% of union dues!!! Not much of an "opt out" option, if you ask me!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:32 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The unions were started to help the American worker, and they supported and enabled the middle class to have a good standard of living.  Did some become corrupt, yes they did and were  taken over by the mafia.  Who put an end to this corruption, the Democrats .  Thanks to Bobby Kennedy, before him no one went after the Mafia.  Thanks to Reagan and company, who  helped destroyed the union mom had to go to work because dad didn't make enough to feed the kids, and that began the downward spiral of the middle class, and help break up the American family. Unions today are very week and only strong  in the government sector.  Because big business no longer needed the pension plans, and large companies like IBM who were very employee friendly, became employee enemies, when greed became good, and management wanted to increase their income by the millions.  . 

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The reason the Unions support democrats is because they support working people. The reason the Chamber of Commerce donates to the republicans is because they support the corporations. It's a simple fact you are either for the people or you are for big business. Those are the two primary differences between the parties.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Actually eco, union members DO NOT decide how much they pay. My husband belongs to a union and the only thing they ever did for him was deny him the salary raise the company wanted to give him (and a few others)for exemplary service. They stated that that amount placed a few people making to much more than all the lazy slobs on the plant. Unions used to be needed to protect employees, now they are just another arm of the liberal radicals.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2010