Cry it out???

Okay my daughter is 10 months old and she gets up about 3 or 4 times a night wanting a bottle.( She will not take juice or water at night) I have tried rice,bed time bath, little snack before bed, night light, soothing music, everything. Her ped, says she cant self soothe, she is use to having a bottle to fall asleep with. They told me to let her CIO.
How long is to long for her to CIO? I know of course to pop in and check on her but I am terrified something will happen to her and i wont hear her.
I need sleep, please help!

hayliesmommy20

Asked by hayliesmommy20 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My just now 1 yr old just recently started getting up 1-2x a night. Neither of my babies are good sleepers. Now that he is a year old, I let him fuss around about 5 minutes or so...not let him scream, but fuss and see if he goes back to sleep. If not, at this point if it is early in the night, as in 4 or 5 hours after he has went to sleep I only give him 4 oz of formula/milk rather than 8 oz. He goes down around 8:00. But if he makes it till 4:00 or later then I give him 6 oz. Trying to ween his body and mind down. I have a 26 month old who doesn't sleep all night either. Of course there are other reasons (daddy is here and gone a lot for work so it's an emotional security thing) but he still too needs that attention. I feel this way, they are babies and only babies a couple years. This is the time they need loved and coddled. Just decrease the amt given. And as soon as done drining it, lay them down, don't rock them.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't give her a bottle to have while laying in bed either....that will create a problem later. That's what I am dealing with with my older one. Learned a hard lesson there. That's why as soon as my baby is done with the bottle I lay him down, still awake and after a few minutes he is asleep. BTW I too tried everything, some babies just sleep all night and some don't. But trust me, you won't sleep through them crying!!! EVER.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I dunno I'm no good at this. I breast fed my babies in bed with me and then put them to the bassinet. They eventually learned to sleep through the night and pretty fast. Co-sleeping does help both mom and baby to get rest. At least this is what I found it. Doing this while they were infants trained them to sleep through the night and eventually they did. I would suggest putting the pack and play next to your bed. Let her have a bottle in bed with you and you can both sleep, then transfer her to pack in play. She will get used to sleeping through the night then she can go to her own room. My babies slept at 6 weeks old with this routine, but I don't know all babies are different.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Some kids don't sleep through the night until they are 3 or 4.

She could be going through growth spurt and she is hungry and really needs food.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• let the baby cry a bit wait 10 min go in explane it has to go night night then repeat
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We never had night issues but my DS would wake up @ 4 AM for the day as an infant. We did do CIO. It was painful but aftre about 4 days he was sleeping in. If you want to go in we were told that we need to let 5 min go by without crying. That way they don't think you came in BECAUSE of their crying. If the associate you coming with crying they will NEVER stop. GL
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• cio is harder for the momma than the baby. just check in on her every few mins. soothe her by rubbing her back but not picking her up. if u are worried about not being able to hear her, get a monitor. good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Defintely check every 10 minutes. Perhaps a switch to a pacifier from the bottle? They are easier to take away than a thumb when the baby is too old in your estimation for that kind of self-soothing.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• At 10 months, you can allow her to cry for 20 minutes. Then go in, hush, pat, soothe for 2 minutes and walk out. Wait another 20 minutes and repeat. It may take a while, but your LO will learn how to self-soothe. Good Luck!
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 7:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I never let my son cry it out, really. A little fussing here and there, but that's it. I suppose I can understand wanting to wean her from the bottle at night, but can you stay with her? Just so she's not scared or lonely? That's what I always did with my son when he cried at night, whether he was hungry or not. I've never really understood people saying "Oh, they're not really hungry". How do you know? I think babies get thirsty at night too. I know I do. Anyway, I'm all over the place, but the point I wanted to make is that the night waking doesn't last forever. My son was up every 2 hours until he was 14 months old. Now he's 21 months old and sleeps right through, nearly 12 hours a night. He even goes to sleep on his own.
    Another thing to consider is that some babies wake and want bottles because they suffer from silent reflux. You won't see it, but it burns their throat, which is why they want that bottle.
    JoeliePoelieMom

Answer by JoeliePoelieMom at 7:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010