I breastfeed my 7 month old baby. A few days ago my breasts got really sore and still are. My nipples hurt too especially when he is nursing. This never happened before except in the first few weeks after he was born. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a reason for it? Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?

yendri

Asked by yendri at 10:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be Thrush. Check your kiddo's mouth out for little white spots on the inside of his cheeks. My daughter had it a few times. it's a fungal infection. It's a pain in the butt for you cause if that is what it is, you have to give him meds like 4 times a day and sterilize everything. If you find the spots, just call up the doc and he'll write your kiddo a prescription.

I first discovered it when I had a lot of pain during pumping that I didn't have before. Also, bleeding and cracking. Good luck!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 10:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Either thrush or mastitis...if your baby doesn't have the white spots and your breasts feel like they have fever, then it is probably mastitis. To cure it, you need to make sure you are letting the baby drain your breasts as much as possible during feeding. Usually you get this if you have let your breasts get engorged. Heating pads help also. If it is thrush, you need to see a doctor. They can also prescribe you with some medicine to help get rid of it faster, but you have to wipe it off before you feed the baby! Hope you feel better soon!
    laceyrobertson

Answer by laceyrobertson at 10:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Pregnant?
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• LOL I'm glad pwfaith said it. My first thought was "could you be pregnant?" That would be my first thought with established nursing and nipple sensitivity and pain. (been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, had boys 13 1/2 mos apart)
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 11:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• well i have had unprotected sex....so do you think so?
    yendri

Answer by yendri at 7:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• oh yeah and every day i feel like i could vomit!
    yendri

Answer by yendri at 7:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Never know until you test! That's pretty much my mantra when it comes to these things, test, test, test!
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Hi ! I have eperienced d same while i was nursing my daughter. I know how u must be feeling right now but dont worry & just chill. i think u should talk to your doc & he will provide u with a healing cream which will help u a lot. i hav used it n it really worked. But use it only between d feed n wash it off very carefully b4 u feed. U can also try using nipple shield so that d nipples r not in direct contact with ur baby''s mouth. u will get some relief. Try it out !!!!!!!!! Good Luck !!!!
    Delnaz

Answer by Delnaz at 8:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• If you've started the baby on solids, then your cycle may be coming back. Remember the sore boobies during PMS or well most of us have them. It hurts like crap to nurse while PMSing but it is really worth it since it only lasts a couple of days. Yes you also could be pregnant but I doubt it. Breastfeeding is supposed to suppress ovulation although it doesn't in everyone as everyone is of course different.
    mommyjen1980

Answer by mommyjen1980 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• check with the doc. A sudden change like that means something. Could be thresh or an infection or he might be doing something to bother them. Or like others said could be hormones - pregnancy or normal cycle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2008