what's wrong with my little girl? :(

For about 4 weeks now my daughter has been sick off and on. For the first year of her life she was sick ONE time. She's 1 year old now and she just started daycare about 2 months ago and since then she's been sick constantly. It started like I said 4 weeks ago, she had a runny nose and then he eyes started watering really bad, fever, and wouldn't sleep...constantly crying. Took her to the ER cause it was a weekend and they said it was just a cold...a week later she wasn't better...took her to her pediatrician and he gave her antibiotics....about a week and a half ago...took her again, pediatrician said she had bronchitis and she got two new medications...one antibiotic and one cough medicine and she was fine for a few days but tonight she's sick again, she usually goes to bed at 7 but she's been hacking up her little lungs...no fever but her nose is pouring and her eyes look bad again. what is going on? :(

nessani28

Asked by nessani28 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like she is catching everything. She might lack immunities, if she has not been exposed previously.
    I would wonder if the daycare is cleaning daily. Are they washing the childrens hands frequently? Are the kids putting things in their mouths? Are they eating after each other?
    I would investigate.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• could she be allergic to something, maybe that's why she's not getting any better?
    I hope she feels better soon.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It's because she's lacking immunities, totally. And probably for the most part, it's going to take some time to build it up. She's likely going to continue to get sick for a few more months, then be fine.

It is not uncommon for kids to get sick a lot for months to follow when first starting daycare or going to the sitters.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 9:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My 2 year old was also sick starting daycare. I think that's what happens when they first start, but there are ways to boost their little immune systems. Give her a multivitamin and some echinachea (ask pediatrician first of course). It's been working for my girl, she goes 4 days a week for about 2 months now and we haven't been sick for 5 weeks.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• more than likely she's just picking things up at daycare, since she doesnt have her immune system totally built up. It will take some time and it wont be fun (since she will be sick alot) but she will get used to germs and wont get sick as frequently. Ive worked at a daycare and have seen it first hand but you also need to check how frequently they are changing crib sheets, cleaning tables, toys and anything your daughter and other children are using. Knowing how often kids pass germs they should be doing it on a daily basis.
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010