Do you think teachers have more respect/positive feelings for working moms or SAHM's?

The teachers always make me feel so special because of all the help and support I'm able to give my kids.
My friend who works full time hates speaking with the teachers because they make her feel awful for not being able to help her kids more.
Do you find this true as well?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 9:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Neither, I believe they have respect for parents that are involved.

urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have never had a teacher ask me if I work at home or stay at home so how would they know? I think they have more respect/positive feelings for the parents that work with their children, get their homework completed on time, volunteer to help for field trips, bake cupcakes for parties. I do all that and work. Unless you tell them you SAH, How in the heck would the teacher know? They respect those that are involved with their childrens education and class experience.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I am a teacher. I make no difference between stay at home moms or working moms. Actually most of the time unless the mother or father brings it up...I have no idea who is what! My son's preschool teacher seems to favor me more. She tells me she can count on me to remember it is my snack day, homework is due, brings things in, or help when needed for parades,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Teachers are working Moms usually- I don't know any teachers in my school that don't have kids.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have never been treated different because I worked or stayed at home (I've beenout of work for a bit). I think that as long as they can see that your child is being taken care, loved, and your involved with them, then they'll respect you.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't know, I guess I never really thought about it. Maybe they just click with us more because we're around so much that they get to know us. I talk to my kids' teachers every day.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have been both stay at home and full time working mom. I personally did not feel that the teachers treated me differently. I agree that it's how involved the parent is.
    I'm stating an observation that was brought to my attention and getting feedback on it.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I used to wonder the same thing. I felt that I was being looked down on because I chose to stay at home with my kids. Everyone has their aspirations. Mine was to be a happy housewife. I was a single mom for a little bit a long time back...with my first child. I worked 12 hours a day 6 days a week.
    I say keep your head held high no matter what you are doing. Make the best. People including teachers always notice anyone who loves what they do. In this economy alot of teachers take from their own money to buy supplies for our kids. If you have time to help. Give it a try. If not offer to grade papers at home. What matters most is what you kids think of you.
    Ians_Fan

Answer by Ians_Fan at 4:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think it really depends on the teacher.

Some teachers are just hateful cows (my son had a few of those) who think the parents (mom or dad) should drop everything and come running simply because the kid said (omg, the shock, the sheer HORROR) "no" to the teacher.

Other teachers are wonderful and will go out of their way to work with the parents whether they are SAH or working. My friend has been very fortunate with her son's teachers. They have been great.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• For me, honestly- as a teacher- the parents I click most with in the classrooms are the same ones I would click with outside the classroom. Some parents that think they are helpful, really get in the way. Most parents are great and really add to my class in one way or another. There are few parents that I have issues with, mostly- parents are looking out for their kids and trying to be helpful and I am thankful for them!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010