People making me feel bad about breastfeeding....

My doc said I have perfect breasts for breastfeeding. Which I wanted to do til my son was a year old and would be able to eat solids exclusively and have cows milk. I also want the bonding... But a lot of people... my FAMILY have been making me feel bad about wanting to BF. My own grandmother told me it's sick to let my kids hang off the tit. She said she expects me to cut him off at 5 months. I told her it's not her choice and she got mad at ME! Everybody in my family keeps telling me that formula was made so women wouldn't have to breastfeed.... I'm going to be a SAHM too, so I'll have all the time in the world to BF. I guess I'm just venting and want a kind word.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 10:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• Breast is best Hunny,, So you Breast feed. Why do you think God Gave you those perfect breasts? I have breast fed 2 darling daughters until they were 14 months old.. and Loved every minute of it even with sore cracked nipples..Okay didn't love that but it is what is best for baby... it has so many good things not only for your child but you as a mother as well,, My mother in law tried to tell me my baby needed formula when she was 5 months old and I told her I will NEVER giver her that.. it is not for us.. She was gaining weight and healthy as a horse.i am totally behind you If you ever have any questions or need any support just message me..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Don't worry about what anyone tells you, this is your baby not theirs. You're going to be an awesome mommy.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• your baby - your choice - everyone else can just shove it where the sun doesn't shine!!
    Anonymous

• Like you told your grandmother...It's not her choice or anyone else's! Breasts were made to breastfeed. Formula is a substitute for woman who can't breastfeed or choose not to. You are choosing what is best for the baby. Stick to your guns and breastfeed as long as you want and can. Ideally at least a year, but two weeks is better than not at all.

Do what you want, your baby, your breasts...

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• just curious, what is it that makes your (or any) breasts "perfect for breastfeeding"?
    Anonymous

• Your boobies, your baby, your decision! It's difficult, but don't let anyone boss you around. Be very firm and unmoving with people who try to change your mind. Be mean if you have to. Let them know that they had their chance to raise a baby, now it's YOUR chance and you're going to do it however you see fit!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I would tell them all to shove it, I wish I could have breast fed my son he was a hungry little guy and I just didn't produce enough, nothing worng with breast feeding it's absolutely natural and wonderful and beautiful. What a great way to bond with your child, God gave us breasts to feed our children (granted men think that there their play toys but whatever lol) I say BF as long as you want and don't let anyone change your mind
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 10:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• So sorry you're going through this. The way I see it is that some women who didn't BF and are older now get defensive if you make a choice different from them. It's like they feel you're saying THEY did the wrong thing. So, they feel like they need to make you feel what you're doing is wrong. Breasts are made for breast feeding. I think its wonderful you are willing and able to feed your kids - there are so many living enzymes formula can't recreate. Even formula makers admit - breast milk is best. Your doing the best thing you can for your kids, and this won't be the first or last time someone questions your judgment. For some reason having kids seems to make people think they can suddenly fill your life with unrequested opinions. Just tell them it's your child and your choice, if you want advice you'll ask.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My doc said that some things make breastfeeding difficult, inverted nipples and other things. He said I don't seem to have any problems with mine so it should be a breeze!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 10:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• What's the deal with 5 months anyways? I nursed both of my kids and some people told me that at a certain point I needed to stop (I did it till 17 months on one, 24 months on another) but my dr told me that one year is great, two years is better, that it has so many benefits for both mother and child including they're supposed to be smarter, healthier, less allergies, asthma, less likely to be obese later and so many other great things that I chose to do it as long as I could. However, after a certain age, the baby does need less so it doesn't have to be done out in public, so what they don't know won't hurt them and I'd get some documented information and everytime I felt the need, I'd ask them if they wanted to read it. Your baby, your body, your choice.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008