beans beans and more beans

So i get wic and with wic i get beans well i have tried three times now to cook them twice on the stove, and once in a crock pot. i really want to cook the beans but no matter what i tend to burn them. Please if you have any suggestions help me. I have tons of beans and tons of great recipes to make with them but i can not seem to not burn them. thanks for your help beyond appreciated!!!!

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 9:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• What kind are you trying to make? I can help! lol
    My husband loves beans, so I have mastered most types.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I sounds like you aren't putting enough liquidf in them, and maybee cooking at too high temperature, so the liquid evaporates when you're not looking. Could this be the problem?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Beans are cooked low and slow, on the stove or crock.
    You have to watch them though, on the stove, stir often, and
    keep lots of liquid in them, either place.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 9:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Also, you're presoaking the dry beans overnight right?
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 10:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• maybe sweetluci ill have to make sure i check the water better.
    and erin814 i am trying to cook pinto beans. i want to make chili. or just regular beans and rice
    iluvmymomasboys

Comment by iluvmymomasboys (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• no didn't know to presoak but i will def. give that a shot too. do you just put them in a container with water and let them sit all night?
    iluvmymomasboys

Comment by iluvmymomasboys (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Pinto beans are what I make most often too, with cornbread. You should sort through your beans before you wash them and then soak them in water for a few hours or even overnight. When you're ready to start cooking them, add as many strips of bacon as you desire, kosher salt, and pepper. Add enough water to cover beans and turn stove on low. Check back often and keep up with your water level. After several hours, your liquid will become a soup. I cook the beans until the taste is right for us. Just keep checking and tasting! =)
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yes, just cover, plus 2" more of water over beans (because they will swell up) and let sit overnight. To help prevent gas, drain that water and add fresh to cook in the next day.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Here look at this video. How To Make Beans   I hope it helps.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Soak them overnight. I like to add a quarter teaspoon of baking soday to the water.....the next morning, drain and rinse the beans really well......add fresh water and plenty of it....if on the stove, bring to a boil and then cook on low for several hours....check often, and stir....keep a lid on the pan if you have one so the water will evaporate less...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010