Anyone worry about being 35 and pregnant?

I am, and I am considered "high risk"... but my doc said those guidelines were made over 50 years ago, and there are very few problems nowadays. Still, I am getting nuchal testing to be on the safe side. So who out there has had children at age 35, and were fine, and how many have had children with birth defects?

MiasMama123

Asked by MiasMama123 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was worried about being 30 and pregnant. This baby is completely healthy, but we did experience a stillbirth when I was 27 due to genetic defects. The bottom line is that it could happen to anyone.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I was considered "advanced maternal age" because I turned 35 a month before my baby was born. Everything turned out perfectly fine, the pregnancy, delivery and my sweet baby girl were no different than when I had my other 2 daughters at age 21 and 28. My Dr also told me that there really wasn't anything to worry about, that age 35 is just a number they use in the medical community for the beginning of certain precautions and testing in pregnancies. No worries!! Your baby will be just fine:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I had my last baby a few years ago at just 32 tears old and was TTC for a while since.
    I may continue hoping for another into my early 40's.

(*I definitely would avoid an OB for myself because I would only want a normal birth expert, a midwife, attending my care.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am 38 and 38 weeks pregnant and have had every high risk pregnancy test done to assure that the baby and I are okay. I have had 25 ultrasounds and 2 Amnio's 1st one at 17 weeks for chromosome problems and one at 37 weeks to check for lung development. All the blood tests done as well, all came back normal or negative. Everything so far has been a normal pregnancy. I never developed gestational diabetes or high blood pressure. I have eaten fairly well and no coffee or caffeine, only water, taken my vitamins and extra iron. The only thing I do have is Polyhydramnios(excessive amniotic fluid) and a big baby(9-10 or more pounds) which I have had with all my pregnancies and the 1st two were when I was 20 & 22 and had the same type of pregnancy as now at 38. What my 1st son does have is a seizure disorder because he was well over 10lbs and got stuck in the birth canal because his shoulders got stuck. He is doing well but on meds.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 11:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Right now I am 35 and my baby is due Jan. 4th.
    I have been just recently diagnosed with GD (gestational diabetes). I have a family history of diabetes so that does not help, but I am controlling it with diet right now! I have had another ultrasound and my baby is doing good, right on track for weight. I will be having 2 more ultrasounds just to make sure that the baby is not getting to big to fast.
    But remember that just because you are 35 means that all the bad stuff happens. I women age 20, 25 or even 30 can get GD.

I also choose not to have the other test done which they say when you hit the 35 mark.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2010