Family disapproves of me dating a puerto rican

I am 34 years old and white american.I'm dating a guy from Puerto Rico.He's good to me and my kids and seems to care for us.But my family disapproves of me dating outside my race.They think I should only date white men.They forbid me to bring him around them or their homes.My stepdad makes crude,nasty,racist remarks about my PR boyfriend.What should I do?say?or anything?

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• If you love him and see a serious future with him then who cares what your family thinks about him? He is good to you and your kids and that is not easy to find in a man these days. There only issue is race then they need to get over it but doesn't sound like they will. Just tell them he is here to stay whether they like it or not. So if they need to get used to it.
    mommytobe626

Answer by mommytobe626 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Stand up for yourself, and your relationship! You are 34, not a child by any means. If your boyfriend is a good man, good to you and your kids, race should never be an issue!

Good luck, mama!

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Ah, I'm dating and have a baby by a puerto rican. I see no wrong with dating outside of your race. Shoo, you're 34! You shouldn't worry what they think of him. As long he treats you and your kids good. Then your family doesn't matter. GOod luck ma!
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 10:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• don't worry about what thinks of your bf. if good to you and your kids that's all that matters
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I do not understand. Would Italian be okay? Would Spanish be okay? Would Japanese be okay? Would French be okay?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have a few thoughts....
    1) If you love him, you need to decide if it's worth spending the rest of your life with this conflict. Because it will not end if/when you marry him.
    2) While I have no problem with mixed-race relationships, I do believe mixed-culture relationships are a whole different ball-game. Not because I'm racist, but because there is a different set of expectations. Marriage is hard enough as it is without bring cultural differences in, especially marrying into a race that isn't as respectful of women as ours is.
    3) Having said that, it's still your choice, and sooner or later your family should respect that and welcome the man you choose to be with. If you are with a white man, they would still be respecting him only because of his skin color, and that's still racist!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would let my family know that if they want me around, their behavior will stop.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• its ur life do whatever u want to do
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010