Is there anything i can do to help my soon to be newborn with brain development?

Ive been reading You Raising Your Child by Dr Oz and in it he states to get DVDs that allow them to call out answers or dance along but other websites have said no TV or anything period .Did anyone allowed their newborn to watch DvDs or TV if so which ex. baby Eisenstein , Dora, sesame street?at what age ? and do you think it made a difference ? Thanks guys!

firstimemommy21

Asked by firstimemommy21 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i took dha pills
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Breastfeeding is the most immediate and best thing you can do to help your baby's brain development!
    We did use Baby Einstein with our son, 6 years ago. I can't say whether or not he actually benefited, but he seems fascinated.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• oh nvm haha umm yea i had mine watch baby einstein around 2 months tho
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Breast feeding provides all the nutrients needed for brain development. It also protects against illness which can protect against fevers and thus protect against brain damage.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You can play music,read aloud,sing to your baby and just talk to the baby
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I've heard the baby Einstein stuff is a gimmick that doesn't make any difference. I personally do not believe that flickering screens are good for babies at all, and I can't imagine they really help babies.

Like the PPs said, BREASTFEED! And spend lots of time talking to your baby and looking them right in the face and playing with them. Touch them a lot. Of course, that's common sense, but it really does help brain development!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Especially in the first few weeks, skin-to-skin contact is very important too!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Baby videos are for moms benefit only, to distract the child for short periods. I believe breastfeeding and social interaction are much more important (not that we didn't use those vidoes! lol)... I also took fish oil supplements while pregnant and nursing. Slings and wraps will help with social interaction. They watch everything you do and learn from it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• breastfeeding is number one- I do know that some people are against T.V and honestly the reason why profesionals say NO TV is that parents use it too much. They sit there newborn in a bouncy infront of opera everyday, because with a new born, there is time to kill- I used baby Einstine DVD's they are 1/2 hour long, and they run by age range, new born, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, so on and so fourth, Your never supposed to expose them to a video thats out of there age range. I would do this 2 times a day for a half hour during feedings.
    also, any classical music works wonders too!!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• also, the other posters were right, skin to skin contact, staring at your baby looking in her eyes, and talking to her, singing to her, read to her every night from the time she is born. all those things help the brain grow, everything u do stimmulates the brain- To much TV time will rot her little brain- don't over use it, or use those DVD's as an excuse to allow T,V time in her life. set a time limit, and allow only that much time.
    I felt that an hour a day was even a bit much, but those are personal choice made my every parent.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2010