help!!

my 2 year old ( 3 in feb) just reached this stage where she tells me NO, when i tell her to do something.. or ignores me.. I know children go through stages but I am afraid it has more to do with the fact that my husbands 15 year old sister is told to do something and she tells them no, or ignores them and they accept it.. which happens EVERYDAY. his sister isnt a bad child.. is more of a stay in her bedroom watching cartoons kind of teen but she is soo disrespectful to her parents and will not listen to them at all. i am worried it has/will rub off on my children.. what can I do to stop it from happening if she sees it almsot everyday?

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds like your child is mimicking the 15 year old. All of you need to sit down and talk about it. Tell the teen point blank that she needs to stop her behavior and that it's influencing your daughter. (Talk to hubby about this next part first; hopefully he agrees.) Next, tell the teen that if she refuses to listen and do as she's told, she lives with the strictest, meanest person you know and they'll have temporary guardianship over her. That temporary guardianship is lifted when she finally realizes the right and wrong things to do.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• PS: You can always reply with what you want to hear...
    ex) Please put that toy away for Mommy...
    Child says NO
    you say... YES... help Mommy and then start getting positive. Build them up to the yes. Thank you so much for helping Mommy...
    Ask again... if she still says NO, just keep playing with the words. It's just a battle of the words. lol
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 11:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I do believe that children learn what they see. I see perfect examples of this in my own house. Although they are two separate individuals, the younger kids usually catch on with what the older kids are doing. Your 15 yr old daughter may be set in her ways, but there is still hope for your 3 yr old.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Honey it has nothing to do with the older sister, it is something all almost 3 year olds learn all by themselves. If she says no, you say yes and direct her towards what you want her to do, if she ignores make sure you get her attention and tell her again.

Repeat and Rinse as needed. LOL
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She is testing her boundaries for sure. It seems typical with children around 2 to 3 years of age. Then after that... after you teach them to not say NO to you like that, they find other clever ways too... then at a certain age you have define when they can use NO to an adult... when to say and when not too. No's are crazy! Good luck!
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 11:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2010