How can I get my 11 month old to sleep through the night?

Every since he was a newborn he's been a restless sleeper. He has always and still does wake up 3-4 times a night. The first couple times I can give him his pacifier and he will go back to bed. The last time, typically around 3 am he wont go back to sleep unless he comes into bed with mommy and daddy. Around 2 months when I went back to work there was a brief period in time he was sleeping his best/most of the night. From about 5 months on I have and still am a stay at home mom.

We are currently trying the cry it out method, but I don't really know it's effectiveness or the correct way to do it. Please someone explain how to correctly use the cry it out method. When to go in the room etc.

Thank you in advance,
A tired mommy

JuliannaStanz

Asked by JuliannaStanz at 10:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good luck with that.
    My daughter's sleep pattern was 8pm to 11pm then up until 3am slept to 5am.
    It's genetic, my mother has never slept more than 4 hour in every 24, my nephew is the same.
    My nephew now 8 is allowed to go to bed at 10pm take his DS and movies with him and he sleeps his 4 hours when he's ready.
    My mother, daughter, and nephew have never napped and are all very high energy.
    My mother has tried drugs, music, meditating - nothing worked.
    Doctors are at a loss and there is little help out there.

We gave up! And it was the best thing we ever did.
    At 2 years old we put our daughter in her a bed. We allowed her to go to bed when she pleased and when she got up, I'd go into her bed room, turn her light on low, give her a kids and allow her to play in her room until she put herself back to bed. She is now 3 years old and gets up, turns on the light on her own, plays and puts herself back to bed all on her own.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• (cont)
    Between the age of 2 and 3 I would go into her room and sleep (if you can call it that) in her bed until she was ready to return to bed, but now that she is 3 and it's 'the norm' I can stay in our room. I can hear her and I go in and out until she goes back to sleep.
    But I can tell you this, it does get better!

We did try the screaming thing, it only works for kids who are NOT fitful sleepers. People think it works for ALL children, because it worked for their child. Unless you have some kind of cookie cutter kid the screaming it out method probably won't work.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• PS I meant "I go in and out of SLEEP until she goes back to sleep", I stay in my bed unless I hear something that sounds wrong.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Leaving him to scream until he passes out from exhaustion doesn't really work for all kids. And it's an awful process. It won't help you sleep if he is in the other room shrieking.

There is nothing you can do to force a child to sleep. It is something every child just does on his own time and pace.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• They outgrow the need of parental comfort eventually. My almost 5 year old starting putting himself to sleep at age 2, then started sleeping through the entire night in his own bed at age 4 (literally 2 weeks before, actually). He still has nights when he comes to our bed at 5 am, but that's normal for most 4 year olds. Just keep consistent and keep comforting him. Some kids just need more attention and reassurance than others. They're all different.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• An 11 month old is completely capable of finding his/her own pacifier at night. You can leave several in the crib for him. At 11 months, you should wait a minimum of 20-30 minutes when your child awakes ad then determine if a response form you is required and necessary. After that, you can do a check where you go in, pat, soothe, hush for 2 minutes and then walk out. Then wait another 30 minutes and do the same thing again. It may take a couple of nights but he will get it. If you have more questions, feel free to stop by my group, Helping Your Child Sleep, http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077. Good Luck!
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 7:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Read "No Cry Sleep Solution" but I will say that most babies don't learn how to self soothe until after 1
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 7:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Sorry, you can't. They have to do it on their own... just like so many other things in life. Baby will do it when baby is ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2010