• In the Spotlight:

dh not bio father but name is on birth certificate....Please do not judge.

If you don't like my situation don't answer..dh name is on birth certificate but he is not the bio father. we got dna test. I know who is the bio. If I were to try to get child support would he have to pay or is my dh responsible. The thing is my dhnever signed any birth certificate. I did all the paper work. I didn't know at the time that my dh wasn't the father

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Money & Work

• oiy what a hard decision he may be liable simply because he is on the birth certificate, but the court if you do go that route may demand dna testing and then they would hold the real father liable, not really sure on how that would work
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 10:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The Bio father would have to pay the child support after you had a DNA test done.
    Anonymous

• My friend was in the same situation and I am pretty sure that if the father on the birth certificate didn't sign anything, he isn't responsible for child support. The other guy would have to pay. Either way, if a DNA test shows that he is the bio father, he is legally responsible for the child.
    mommy2B2119

Answer by mommy2B2119 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If your DH is on the birth certificate the other guy is NOT liable for support unless you are ready to put him on the birth certificate. Keep in mind pursuing this would also mean the bio dad could go after visitation and custody rights as well if he is declared the father.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• ok so if later on in life my dd wants to know who her real dad is do we have to have her last name changed? once a dna test is done and proves my dh is not the father?
    Anonymous

• I would go to family court and gets things settled legally,you can't deny your child knowing his biological father and did you do this behind the back of the babies father so he could not be a part,did you give the option of his involvement,did he know he was going to be a dad ,not judging you but wondering why you put the other guys name on before going through the proper channels since this could affect you down the road in court over the best interests to the child.
    The child has a right to the other families history,for medical needs and questions.
    Just need to consider is these steps for you,revenge or the child ?
    The courts,guardian ad litem may look at this if it ever became an issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Go through legal channels,the child may have resentment for your actions.
    It took two to create this child so let the courts decide what should be done and maybe he will allow the other man to become the childs father,go through the right legal process,set an example for the child.
    Plus i agree with the above statement,especially what about knowing the childs medical background,heritage of it's father,there is much to take care of & needs to be done right away for all parties welfare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

Depends on the state there. My sons dad had nothing to do with him for 11 years then he wanted to get joint custody of him and change his last name. The judge would not grant the change of the name because my son was used to his last name and that it would be hard on him at his age to change his last name. I would get with family services or consult a lawyer and find out what your rights are considering this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I put my dh name on the bc cause I thought that he was the dad & I guess cause we were trying to fix our marriage & I was praying that he was I know it stupid of me but I guess I was trying to convince myself & my dh that he was the dad. after she was born I thought & mil thought that dh was the dad She kept saying that dd looked just like my fil side of the family. my dh wanted a dna test a month after she was born turned out she wasn't his. bc was already done. I know my dd need to know the truth & tried to contact bd but he wont answer me. dh says that if i do ever contact the bd he'll leave me. he wants for me to not ever tell dh the truth. He is raising her & wants 2 be her dad. my family think i need to tell her the truth when she is older I'm scared she will hate me but also scared if i do it i'll lose my dh again & my dd won't have a dad at all. BD pretty much making it clear to me he doesn't want part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2008