Is the "Dont Tell Dont Ask" policy good for our military?

mommywood13

Asked by mommywood13 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I just worry for their safety if they are "out of the closet".

Actually, a lot of soldiers are "neanderthalls". They already pick apart each other's weaknesses. I'm not defending them, but I know if my brother would make life miserable for any guy who was even slightly effeminate. I'm sure they're not all like that, but as long as there are so many testosterone-pumped morons among them (my brother included) I most certainly believe homosexuals in the military could be at risk, or at least miserable. And my brother's not a newby, he's been on 3 tours and is now in training command. SCARY!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think our military already have homosexuals serving. We need as many brave people willing to sacrifice their lives for the freedom of all. I think many are already pretty darn brave because of all the hate and discrimination they deal with on a daily basis
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't understand why there was ever a policy to begin with.
    why did they not want gays?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No. The United States is made up of all walks of life, and we do not tolerate those that don't accept this. All walks of life love this country and would/should defend it, and we should honor all that choose to.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My dh was in the army, an airborne infantry unit. We had a party with several gay soldiers there. There didn't need to be any asking and telling. They were gay, and would gladly admit it. No one treated them any different. There were no problems what so ever. They were treated just as the other solders there were. Joked on just like they joke on everyone else. They were awesome guys to be around. And if no one in their infantry unit had a problem, I surely wasn't concerned for their safety.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Then maybe it's the "neanderthalls" that we should be dealing with. Those with obvious anger issues. Sounds to me they are the ones with the problems. maybe it's time they see the psych dr.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No. I feel that our military should be accepting of everyone who is willing to risk their lives for their country.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

So you believe soldiers are neanderthals that cannot accept differences in sexuality? (I honestly don't believe you think this, or you wouldn't have posted the question) Because worrying for their safety states that "men" in the military would abuse an openly homosexual, which lends to the thought that they aren't educated enough to accept the differences in people. And I believe that to be false in the majority (there is always the extreme minority that is violent against differences)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I am sorry for those men, because I believe they give my husband, who was in the army, a very bad name.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Anon, it doesn't matter if a person is effeminate or whatever. If ANY soldier picks apart another soldier they will be delt with accordingly. Especially if they are being trained to be in command. Homosexual or not bullying WILL come to a screeching halt, in the military world and more so in the civilian.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2010