would this be ok?

My husbands sister is 15.. she is not a bad kid (mostly stays home watching cartoons,etc) but she is very disrespecctful to her parents and does NOT listen to them.. I have never said anything but I dont want my children to think it is ok to ignore me or to tell me no, etc. so i want to know that if they are at my house.. and they tell her to do something and she doesnt (and they do the usual and let her do as she wants) do i have the right to say something? for ex. the other day my 3 yr old was on ther trampoline and my sil (15 yr old) got on it also.. my mil told her to take her shoes off and my sil replies with no, i think i am just going to leave them on.. my mil says alright then.. could i say no, if you cant take your shoes off like you were asked then you can get off the trampoline.. i dont want to cross the line but it kills me to watch her disobey them EVERYDAY and even more when in front of my children

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• At MY house and anywhere with MY kids - if YOU don't parent your kids - I WILL step in. Your SIL sounds like a little brat and her parents are to blame for letting her do whatever she wants. I get so sick and effing tired of seeing these parents who wanna be friends with their kids instead of being parents, setting boundaries and enforcing them! No wonder the kids and young adults in our world today are suck fuck-ups!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Your house, your rules. I would have told her to take her shoes off or get off the trampoline. You have every right to enforce rules in your own home.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Your house, your rules.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• hell yea your house your rules your the parent there so yea even if the parents there say it in front them she should know to respect other people
    mama2010B

Answer by mama2010B at 2:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree... Your house, your rules.. I would talk to dh first though, so you don't offend him and if his parents question it he will be able to defend what you are doing.
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• your house. your rules mama. I SOO would say something. GL
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 3:46 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would have said something. Also since your son was on it also. What if they got to close she could have stepped on him and hurt his foot. Maybe a sil is what needs to step in be her big sister that you are and talk to her. I ahve 2 younger sil and we talk and I can tell then your acting like this that not right. I have been around since they were 2 and 5 16 years later we have a good bond.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 12:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Simply put, YOUR house, YOUR rules. If they can't follow the rules in your house (do what parents tell you to do), then they can't come over. If they can't get their teen daughter to listen to them, they can either leave her at home or send her to a friend's house. Talk to her parents and see if they wouldn't mind you talking to her the next time she disrespects them. Explain your thought process of you not wanting your kids to see her (the teen) as a role model and start mimicking her behaviors. If they can't or won't, you can tell them they're not allowed in your home until she starts listening or until she's old enough to move out of their home.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• That is true. It's your house & your rule. You have every right to say what you want to say. I wouldn't want your son to learn anything from her. It's best to speak your mind whether she likes it or not. You are part of the family now. You can try to talk to her about how you feel because children can look up to them like a role model. Good luck momma.!
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 11:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• its your trampoline, its your rules. I dont let kids do whatever they want at my house regardless if mom or dad is there or not. In tat situation I would prolly just smile and say, "hmm, actually, hun i would appreciate if you would take them off. Thats our rule and I want the kids to have a good example please!" Whether she listens to your mom or not... it is your house and she needs to follow your rules. That shows your kids that YOU are the authority. If you were somewhere else and she was disrespectful...depending on your relationship with her, I may ask her quietly to the side if she could please watch how she talks around your kids...she is auntie and they look up to her". she may take it as a welcome responsibility. Also, once your kids are old enough to understand...you may mention to them that that's not everyone makes good choices all the time, and auntie isn't perfect.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2010