What does it mean if there is low amniotic fluid around the baby?

I went for an ultrasound yesterday and they said that there was low amniotic fluid around the baby. What does this mean and is it safe for the baby to be in there without a lot of fluid?

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The safety of this situation depends on how far along you are and is really a question for your doctor or midwife. Sometimes it can be as simple as dehydration, so it wouldn't hurt to hydrate!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Hydration is generally the cause, so drink up~ a LOT!
    ;-)
    Your body completely replaces the fluid every few hours, so if you're drinking enough then it should help.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes, you need more water. Start drinking!

Ultrasounds are not 100% so don't put too much energy into it. Just hydrate.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Dehydration is a common cause of low amniotic fluid levels. So are stress and smoking. Fluid levels can also fluctuate week to week, so they may be low this week and normal the next. The only time you need to worry about low fluids is if they drop really low (single digits for most doctors is a sign to monitor them for a few weeks) and STAY low. I had low fluids with DD- after they dropped they only came back up to about 8%, and that was after two + weeks of bed rest (stressful job WITH a smoker- perfect combo lol) and doing nothing but drinking and peeing. The lowest they got was just above the 5% mark my doctor gave me for "we're going to induce right away". We made it to almost 38 weeks, we were shy by a day or two when they induced me. I fully agree with PP, though, drink lots of water and relax. They will probably (depending on how far you are) want you in every week for checks if they are concerned.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2010