Questions about c-section #2

I live away from all family and my mom will be comming in town to help out. DS1 will be 2.5 years and DH (military) will only be able to take 3 days off for the birth. How long would you suggest I ask my mom to stay?

Since my first c-section we moved to a diffrent home. We now have 2 stories and I was wondering if it was easy/difficult to walk up stairs. Were you able to carry your baby while walking up stairs?

How did you handle your toddler, a newborn and recovery all at once?

Thanks for reading!

1andcounting

Asked by 1andcounting at 1:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You might want to plan to have everything set up on one floor for the first week.
    And plan ahead to have a lot of things done/ready so little is required postpartum.
    It's easier to recover from a more natural delivery, but women do recover from cesareans while mothering their children everyday~~
    Have you considered a VBAC?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• doulala

• I have had 3 c-sections, and each one got easier and the recovery was less. It is hard taking care of a toddler though, and I'm sure the stairs would be hard for the first few weeks. You could probably carry the baby up the stairs, but probably not the toddler!! I would ask her to stay a few weeks ;)

www.cullensforever.com
    cullensforever

Answer by cullensforever at 1:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My local hospitals won't allow VBAC's and I prefer the hospital setting for the what if situations.
    1andcounting

Comment by 1andcounting (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Do you want a VBAC?
    They can't force you to have a surgical procedure against you will~
    so if you really want one you can still look into this option.

Not everyone wants one, but for most women, a VBAC is safer than an unnecessary repeat cesarean.
    If you are interested you can check it out.
    Let me know if you'd like more.
    ;-)
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I had 3 sections. My mom stayed for a week with my second one. Its all she could take from work(with my 3rd she had us take my sons to her vs coming to our home and they were there a week). I didnt really need anymore help than a weeks worth.

I did alright with stairs but just took things slow and with my second and third ones I used a sling...it helped me have hands to deal with my toddlers(my oldest was 2 when my second was born). The sling really helped!

I wouldnt try lifting your toddler any higher than to your lap while you are in a sitting position for a good couple of weeks. Let your body heal and dont over do it. Listen to your body and it will let you know when its time to chill for a while.

You will get into a routine fairly quickly I think, I know many women who did and then things will smooth out for you.

Good Luck!
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes it does get easier each time i had a 2 story apt. when i had my 3rd child 2nd c-sec i mainly stayed down stairs for the 1st week of being home and when i went up stairs i always had someone else carry the baby up for me. Good luck hope this helps!
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have had 2 c-sections, my sencond one was alot easier than the first just because I knew what I was up against. I had my mil there now x mil. I would set everything up on the floor you will be on the most. My toddler helped me out a lot. She was really happy to be helping with her baby brother. If there are things the sibling can do to help allow them too.
    susiebabz09

Answer by susiebabz09 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010