Explaining BFing to a toddler

I nuresed my first son for 15 months. He has never seen another person nurse a baby. How can I prepare him for me nursing baby #2?

1andcounting

Asked by 1andcounting at 1:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine asked lots of questions. just wait until he asks and tell him mommy is feeding the baby. that's usually enough at that age ; )

www.cullensforever.com
    cullensforever

Answer by cullensforever at 1:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Just tell him your feeding the baby.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't think you need to prepare him. He will understand when he sees you and you tell him what you're doing. If you really feel like he needs some forewarning, though, you can show him pictures of moms nursing and say "This is called nursing, it's how mommies feed their babies." :)

Congrats on #2!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i watched the baby story on T.L.C. with my kids. it got them ready for everything. mommy going to the hospital how there brother come to our family and it shows the baby breast feeding.. it might be to real for some parents, but it really worked for me. and it also prepped him on me not being home for a couple of days also. mine were very close in age. and they all are attached to me. it actually made them feel o.k. about everything that was going to happen
    butterfly1677

Answer by butterfly1677 at 2:03 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Butterfly, I actually avoided that show with my daughter. The reason is because it's NOT real. It shows birth as an emergency instead of an emergence, and ALL the women have a horrible time breastfeeding. I don't want her to think of birth or breastfeeding in those manners. We watched pre-screened births on YouTube and The Business of Being Born to prepare her.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Just tell him that moms make milk for babies, and that the baby is drinking milk from mom. My toddlers were fine with that explanation.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• "You know how you eat food off a plate with a fork, because you're a big girl? Well babies can't eat foods like that - see how baby doesn't have teeth to chew with? Moms make milk, and that milk is the food for babies - and this is how the baby gets the milk/food. When you were a little baby you ate the same way - and look how big and strong you are now! So baby will eat this way for a while, and when he/she is old enough and big enough, he/she will start eating off a plate like you. Does that make sense? Do you have any questions?". Pretty much what I said to my girls every time another baby came.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 4:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I showed my daughter pictures of her nursing. And let her watch her younger sister nursing. She wanted to try it, so after I expressed one day I gave her some in a cup. She said it was gross and promptly lost all interest. We have always talked about how mammals drink from there mommies, that might help.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2010