How can you tell if your child is having a bad dream?

My daughter is almost 3. Sometimes she wakes up in the middle of the night shaking and kind of crying. She doesn't have low blood sugar or anything like that and will go back to sleep right away. When do they start dreaming?

mommywood13

Asked by mommywood13 at 1:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well my sebastian started having bad dreams at 2.. he was still dreaming when we would try to go in and calm him down. it seemed like he was awake but he was always sleeping!
    butterfly1677

Answer by butterfly1677 at 1:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• well i dont have a 9yr old but i have a 10 year old sister who had bad dreams when i was spending night at my moms apt
    she get these dreams that i wouldnt love her no more because i love her because i was pregant at the time she thought i would forget about her that she wouldnt be the baby because her nickname i gave her bebe and she wish i was her mom i said to her that mom her mom our mom because my mom is mature and she screams at them for no reason she put herself first and she just yells she doesnt take a chill pill and calming talk to them she a good sis she always listens too well she crys and comes out of the room or talk in her sleep then she comes over to me and sleeps with me
    mama2010B

Answer by mama2010B at 2:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• oh no your poor little sister! good thing she has you :)
    mommywood13

Comment by mommywood13 (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My DS,2, will sometime just shriek and when I go in and check on him I just talk to him and he'll go right back down, so know it's only a bad dream. The other way that I know he's dreaming is that he'll yell out," NOOO Bubby!" which means he's even fighting with his big brother in his sleep.LOL
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• DD has dreams every night, some good and some bad. She told me yesterday that she dreamed her Daddy was trying to give her a shot.... poor baby just had her four yr old shots 2 wks ago and is still traumatized.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 9:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• does she watch tv before bed? If so this could be the cause. Cut out TV an hour before bed and that should help. TV keeps the mind stimulated even after we "fall asleep" and can cause children to have nightmares, or not get enough sleep.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010