Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I prove that custody papers are filed in error when ive recived them after they've been filed?

Answer Question

Asked by fightformyRaine at 2:18 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 4 (54 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • They'll have to look back over the court minutes. You need to talk to your attorney.

    Answer by Glamourina at 2:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • i dont have an attorney i cant afford one, he did nt even spell my name right

    Comment by fightformyRaine (original poster) at 2:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • Go to the court clerk. They can do the appropriate research for you.

    Answer by Glamourina at 4:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • Check to see if there's a Legal Aid in your area. If the papers arent correct you need to talk to an attorney, & perhaps Legal Aid can help you. You can also go to the proper dept at the courthouse the papers were filed at, & tell the clerk there what you told us here. They may have more adivce for you as well.

    Answer by RubyinPA at 6:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • go to the clerck office at the court house and tell them what has happened and bring any prof you have that they where given to you late and the correct spelling of your name they can advice you from there....good luck

    Answer by cara124 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • go talk with the clerk

    Answer by mekarevell at 12:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • What do you mean filed in error? The person who filed them didn't mean to?

    Answer by annabellelee at 4:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • Why does everyone think Legal Aid is just going to jump on the case? There is a 3-6 month wait with most things, and if it's an immediate ordeal they are not equipped to handle it.

    I frankly cannot see Legal Aid getting involved when she can handle this matter herself. She doesn't NEED an attorney for anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • Call and then write to the Clerk of Courts or the judge (depends on the court which one you write to). When they did my custody order they totally reversed our names after the first paragraph making biodad residential and me paying.... I wrote to them and they modified it and firxed it.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • take your papers back to the court house, then go speak to a clerk. depends on your state you can file custody papers without needing a lawyer. go to the court house ,then talk to a clerk maybe she can help you get a fee waiver(so you wouldn't have to pay court cost). its worth a shot. or check it out on your computer.

    Answer by canta1980 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.