Am I brushing my daughter teeth wrong?

I try to brush every single tooth on all sides. But she keeps getting cavities! This really makes me feel like I am not being a good mom. She doesn't eat sweets really, she likes brushing her teeth, she takes fluoride treatments the correct way now. She has been taking the drops for over a year but I just found out she should be taking it at night, and NOT with milk.

Is she going to have bad adult teeth too? What should I do? I just keep thinking I must be brushing her teeth wrong.
oh she is 2 1/2 btw. When her first top tooth came out it had a stain on it, and it remained a stain until she went in to have 4 other cavities filled. The dentist (an awesome person) filled it too since it turned into a cavity by that time.

jeeplassie

Asked by jeeplassie at 2:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have no idea why her teeth are being affected that way. I brushed my kids teeth...let me see...not once until they were 3. Never took the flouride. They have always brushed their own teeth. They are now 6 and 7 and have pearly whites with no cavities. Every mouth is different. I don't think this would be your fault. Ask your dentist if there is anything else you can do.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Ok thank you. I just feel bad but her teeth don't seem to bother her which is good. my poor little girly. I will ask her dentist.
    jeeplassie

Comment by jeeplassie (original poster) at 4:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my kids have pretty much always been responsible for brushing their own teeth too and no cavities. Some people just have a harder time with cavities then others. Unless your child is taking juice or something else sugary to bed I really don't know what to tell you.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 3:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• She eats plenty of veggies and lots of fruits, and I took her off her bottle over a year ago. She goes to bed with nothing in her mouth except for water. The bedtime routine is brushing her teeth, and then getting some water to help clear her mouth if she wants it, and then goes to bed. I used to give her too much watered down juice, but now she only has one or two glasses of juice a day, same with milk, and the rest is water. She does not eat sweets unless her grampa shows up and gives her stuff. Last time he was here though I finally got up the courage to tell him no more candy. He lives out of state so its not often though. I always make sure she has a balanced diet, or I try anyway, every day.
    I will ask her dentist why she keeps getting cavities. I brush her teeth and she does it some too, but I do it first to make sure I get it all, then let her do it. I am just pretty confused about why she keeps getting cavities.
    jeeplassie

Comment by jeeplassie (original poster) at 4:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Some people are just more prone to cavities than others. My dad was that way. He brushed 2-3 times a day and flossed and always got a bunch of cavities.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:45 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My kids brush daily and have watered down juice and milk and take vitamins and do the fluoride treatment (the oldest anyway). But each had 4 cavities for the first time, I had 2 for the first time in a decade. I think it was due to the stress over the last year, (deployment and moving twice). They were eating like normal but stress does funny things. And some families they just get cavities no matter what you do. Then you have my hubby who eats sugary, fatty foods and no cavities or weight gain.
    Is you daughter sick a lot, they say the health of your teeth is tired to your over all health. My youngest gets every cold there is, 1-2 a month.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2010