Any product to help my dog's dry skin?

My baby, my dog keeps itching her skin. Its dry. No fleas. Any ideas what I can give her to bring back tht shiney coat and get rid of the dry itches?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 2:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pets

• My mom uses an oatmeal bath and...she washes them with dandruff shampoo.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Try adding peanut oil to her diet. A capful or so over dry food is a good start.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• what I've done with our four chihuahuas was after bath i would massage some baby oil all over them, being sure to work it down past the fur and onto the skin (make their coats smell good, and shine like the top of the crysler building LOL oh and their skin is as soft as silk )

:-)

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 3:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Try rubbing olive oil into her skin and let it soak in for a while. Then use baking soda and water to wash it out. Moisturizers really well.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Dermcaps. They are excellent for the coat. it also comes in a liquid form pump bottle. you can add it to her food, or give her a DermCap wrapped in cheese or meat as a "treat". For her skin, use a shampoo that is Neem Oil based. Neem is very, very good for dry or problem skin in pets, & it's 100% safe. diet is somethign else you can look at; what are you feeding your dog? Many times skin problems are due to food allergies, especially corn, wheat, & soy. If either of these ingredients are in your dogs food, try feeding a grain free food instead. Introduce a new food slowly by mixing it in gradually with her regular food, increasing the amount of the new food a little more each day/ sometimes a dog will have a protien allergy as well. I recommend Natural Balance Single Source Protien & Carb dog food. It comes in canned or dry & is sold at Petco. skin issues are very often food related.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with RudyinPA: Alot of times, dry skin in dogs is caused by low-quality fillers in dog food such as corn/wheat/soy. Grain free dog food is great, but you don't have to go grain-free...just make sure their are none of the above ingredients in the food. Plus, watch for "meat & bone meal", "beef & bone meal", and "animal fat" (or any other un-named "meat" product, these ingredients may or may not contain euthanised cats/dogs and DO contain 4D *dead, diseased, dying, downed* animals). If switching to a higher quality food doesn't help (do the switch gradually and give the new food atleast a month to work, unless the new food makes it much worse of course), you can also add salmon oil to the food. It is a great source of Omego 3 & 6 and it is also good for the heart.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Depending on her digestion, you might try just adding a little bit of sunflower oil to her food (like only a teaspoon once a day, it doesn't usually take much). We use that with show dogs and it works really well. Might be her food also - are you feeding a good quality dog food ? Sometimes it is as easy as making sure the food is a good quality (I feed Purina O.N.E. to my dogs.)
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 5:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Purina One is NOT good quality (NOTHING by Purina is)! Ewww! Taste of the Wild is a great brand. It is grain-free and pretty cheap. I can get it for $42.99 for 30#. It may seem expensive to some, but you feed way less than the low-quality grocery store/Walmart brands. My 38lb dog only has to eat 1.75 cups/day versus 3 cups/day on Purina One! Canidae (the original all-life stages formula is about $50 for 44lbs...it is on sale at petfooddirect.com for $29.99 right now) is another great food that is cheap. I like to rotate my dogs between different "flavors" of TotW, Blue Buffalo, and Canidae.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Using baby oil, which is mineral oil, on your dog is not a good idea. It can clog their pores & make them overheat because it holds their body heat in. I use Aussie Moist shampoo on my lab followed by Jordan Essentials Shea Body Butter on his back where he gets the most dry.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2010