What is your opinion on the child harnesses??

My mom is totally against them but I dont see anything wrong with them.
What do you think??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 3:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have one, and use it.
    My son is far MORE IMPORTANT than a dog, thank you, which is why I use the harness.

Train him? He's 2, so even with good, steady training and a vigiliant eye, he is likely to bolt
    at some time or another. I have 2 hands, and they are often full/busy with other things.

There aren't always carts to put him in, and sometimes he just wants to walk on his own.
    The harness lets him have some freedom, but connects him to me. Satisfies both of us,
    so it's win/win.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think they are perfectly ok. Especially in crowded places. Kids like them because it gives them a little more freedom then holding your hand does, and most parents like them because if for whatever reason they get out of your line of sight, you still have a hold of them. I personally would much rather have my child looking like a dog or horse and know they are safe because i put an extra bit of security on them then to not put one on just because some people don't like them...
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 6:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Personally, I think that most kids can and should be taught proper behavior in public without using one of those harnesses. You don't want your daughter running wild in the supermarket? Tell her that she is to stay next to the cart, and if she disobeys, make her ride in the cart. You're worried that your son might decide to do a runner at the zoo? Tell him that he is to hold your hand or stay close by, and if he disobeys, you discipline.

With that being said, I don't think of parents who use the harness as an extra precaution or because conventional discipline doesn't work as lazy. However, if you're using it simply because you don't feel like "dealing with your kid", then you are lazy.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i have one and use it every day. either i use that and people say im treating her like an animal but she stays with me, or i dont use it and im in the store and i go to grab something and she runs off and people say i need to watch her better. (my little one is in the cart, and no leaving her home with hubby is not an option, as he isnt here)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We bought the ones that looked like little animal backpacks for our last trip to Disney World. They were a lifesaver there, but I probably wouldn't use one on a daily basis.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 8:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My husband keeps trying to convince me to get one, but I hate them! I can see why he thinks we need one, since our son is very strong and fast, so it's difficult to deal with him in a crowded place (especially if he doesn't want to sit in a stroller). He will hold our hands, but he'll suddenly try to run off which scares me. Usually we can manage him ourselves, but I worry about grandparents being strong enough to keep him with them by hand holding alone. I can see how the backpack or bracelet types could come in handy somewhere really crowded like Disney World. Bottom line, I don't like them myself, but I'm not really too judgmental about others having them. Everyone needs to make their own decisions about what's right for their kids and their family
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think they're fine in large, crowded areas and you don't have a cart or something to put them in. I don't know about you, but no amount of talking or holding my child's hand will keep her by my side and away from danger and who knows what else. If there wasn't anything to put her in, I'd have probably used a child harness.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have a hard time with that one. To me its a parent who doesn't want to pay full attention to their child. Harnesses are for dogs, horses and cattle. Not kids. I view it as neglect bordering on abuse......JMHO
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i got one for my daughter one time. the animal backpack one. she tryed to run everywhere and just keept pulling herself and fulling. she is easyer to control when just holding her hand. when she is a good area she can run and play but when its time she hold my head. when i need to let go for a second i get her to stnd in front of me and put her hand in mypocket she thinks its funny and likes to do it. now when i see kids with thouse backpack i giggle a little and think there funny things.
    Anna Bananerz W.

Answer by Anna Bananerz W. at 9:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with makeline, you need to teach your child. I have 2 kids and work with children and never have used one nor would I ever.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 11:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2010