Is it normal. my 7 month old won't eat any baby food willingly?

I worry cause all she wants is breastmilk. She will only take breastmilk straight from the boob. Tried tons of baby foods.

Ians_Fan

Asked by Ians_Fan at 3:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you have to play games to get her to open her mouth, then she's not developmentally ready for it. I know that it's a huge milestone that we parents love to reach, but when a baby is ready for solids, they will know EXACTLY what to do.

Any food given before the age of 1 is simply for practice, they get their nutrition from formula or breastmilk. And, if she's 7 months now, you could just skip purees altogether and go straight for table foods. :)
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 1:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Both of my boys were barely staring solids at 7 months. TOTALLY normal... Just keep nursing and offer solids at mealtimes that she can feed herself. She will get the hang of it and eat eventually. Solids are just for practice before 12 months.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Completely normal, my youngest didn't have any interest until she was 9 months old and even that was minimal. Now at 11 months she has come to enjoy food.

Babies don't really need food, formula or breastmilk has everything they need for the first year of life.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Umm noo. My husband and I try tickling her to get her to open her mouth. We give her toys. We try to keep distractions away. We worry about her nutrition. But we have also heard it could have to do with the fact she is breastfed entirely. We are parents who make an effort each day to be a better team.
    Ians_Fan

Comment by Ians_Fan (original poster) at 3:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• totally normal. food before 1 is just practice. she is getting all of her nutrients from breastmilk.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 1:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Totally normal. She doesnt NEED to have it till after a year. Your BM is all the nbutrition she needs. Chop up some sweet potato, ot avocado, or banana in really small peices and try and give her that or let her fed herself. My son did not like babyfood for very long. He went to soft table foods like i described at 7 months 1 week. Next time im not trying baby food. Just waiting till 6 months or older and smushing them some real foods.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Totally normal! Some babies never eat baby food. If she can sit up and pick things up with her fingers just start putting some finger foods on her tray and see if she puts them in her mouth. She will eat when she is ready!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We started at 7 months, but my daughter wasn't all that interested until closer to 8 months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my son is nine monhts old. He hates eating baby gfood, but whatever is on my plate... he WANTS!
    Jademarae

Answer by Jademarae at 11:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes. I have 4 kids and 2 of them went from formula straight to solids and skipped baby food completely because they would gag. You should try giving him niblets of corn and boil or steam some veggies and fruits (to soften them) and give him solids that way. Also keep in mind that he is used to having his milk warm, so try and warm up his food a little to help him adjust.
    kgsharber

Answer by kgsharber at 2:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2010