Are trees immortal?

assuming they live healthy, do they ever die of "old age"?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Of course! Some varieties such as those classified as "ornamental" (plums, dogwoods, pears, cherry trees) live about 15-20 years on average, whereas "shade tree" varieties can live for hundreds of years (oaks and maples)! Some varieties are very hardy, and others are susceptible to borers, birds (like woodpeckers) and woodland creatures who destroy the bark and leave the tree vulnerable to disease.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Eventually, yes, trees can die of "old age". Different species of trees have different life spans. For example, cherry trees only live on average 20 yrs or so. Redwoods can live for thousands of yrs.

However, if you think about it, people really don't die of "old age" either (my mom is a Hospice Nurse, and she and I have actually talked about this). Many people say that so and so died of old age, but technically, they died because their heart stopped or etc. (Yes, basically, their organs were old and started to shut down, but it's not old age that killed them - it was this or that system failure, this or that disease, etc.)

The same with trees - they don't usually die of "old age" - but they get so old, become susceptible to heart rot, root rot, fungus, insect attacks, etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• thats a really good question...now I'm wondering...lol
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 5:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Well, I've been told by more than one person who knows about trees that the 30+ year old trees in my yard are dying and will need to be taken down in the next few years. I've not been told they were unhealthy, just that they were old. Maybe it's that hard suburban living that's done them in. If they were wild trees, perhaps they might have lived longer. *shrug*
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• confusedI don't know?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I know Redwoods (aka Sequoia) live for centuries and were here before the European settlers arrived.

I also know oak trees live for 100s of years, as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Of course they do! (die of old age, that is)
    Diseases will also take them out, as will a good chainsaw or loggers blade, lol.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 3:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010