Have you had your daughter vaccinated?

I'm seeing more and more commercials about the Human Papillomavirus for girls. I've looked on webmd.com and it says Minimum age: 9 years but it also says Administer the first dose of the HPV vaccine series to females at age
11–12 years. I'm not sure I understand if this means I should have my 9 yr. old dd vacinnated now or I should wait until she's 11. I called her pediatrician and they said to wait until she's 11 but why does it say that the minimum age is 9? No smart comments please, I'm just a little confused on the way it's worded.

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• HAve you seriously looked into the side effects of this shot? There are risks of paralysis, seizures and atleast 21 deaths in 2 years. The list goes on, just google it and check it out. This is coming from a mother who uses vaccines.
    http://www.cwfa.org/articles/15822/BLI/dotcommentary/index.htm
    http://www.infowars.com/articles/ps/vaccines_tx_no_law_mandate_hpv_drug.htm
    Anonymous

• I've looked into that vaccine and will not be giving it to my daughter.
    Anonymous

• NO absolutely not.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• No, I haven't because I took it as something that she needs because of all the commercials about it saying that it will prevent different types of cervical cancer but I will definitely do so now. Now I feel like a parent who screwed up by not researching this. I haven't had her vaccinated and am not sure I want to or will now. TY MOMS!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• This is a vaccine that protects against several different strainsof HPV. This is a virus that can cause cervical cancer. What you should also know, is that HPV, aka veneral warts, is an STD. I work in a doctor's office and have given this vaccine to pts. I personally will wait until it has been on the market for a longer period of time to see what kind of side effects appear over the next few years. And also to wait until my girls 10 and 12 are old enough to realise the reprecussions of sexual activity.
    jvluna

Answer by jvluna at 11:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The thing I worry about is how much research has really been done on this vac. We have discussed whether or not we would give it to our future DD and I said no, but DH said yes. We are at a stalemate for now.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I plan on researching it more before I make my decision but I am leaning towards it because cancer seems to run rampant with the women in my family and I want her to have all the protection she can get. She has a year to go before her doctor will give it to her so I have time.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We did the series of shots on my step daughter. She had no side effects, other then soreness at the injection site. My niece has had it also, with no ill effects. My younger daughters will be getting the shots when they are old enough. Even though the manufacturer says you can give it safely as soon as nine years old, the girls pediatrician suggested waiting until they were around 12. Cervical cancer not withstanding, I would give them the shots if only to prevent genital warts. They are extremely difficult to get rid of and are burned or froze off.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• my daughter is 13 and i still refuse her to get that vaccine- let her decide when shes an adult!!
    j-hunt

Answer by j-hunt at 4:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm 19 and had the vaccine at 16....I haven't had seizures or died yet so....I think I'm good!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2008