Different Bible Translations

Is there really a difference between the different bible translations - I mean I know they use different wording and things, but is the message really changed, or do they all basically say the same thing?

MamaC24210

Asked by MamaC24210 at 7:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• over all the same imho
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The message is different for everyone and sometimes the mixture in wording can cause confusion. The true message has been lost over the centuries and we will never truly know exactly what was said. We are all just going by hearsay
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 8:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Even the same translation can speak to different people in so many different ways. So when you add in even more translations you increase the different interpretations and understandings even more.

But while I do believe that the text was referring to specific things, I do believe that the basic message can be understood any any translation - many people choose to dig so deep into the text, though, and into their interpretations of the more trivial matters (like homosexuality) that they tend to miss or forget that basic message - namely one of love, compassion, and graciousness....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• *in any lol sorry
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• In general no. But there are odd differences especially with using God's name or not or using definite or indefinite articles (such as at John 1:1) to support the later trinity doctrine. So, although I have a preferred Bible translation, I have a handful of different translations just for peace of mind.
    m01r4

Answer by m01r4 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes, words have been translated differently. Take the 10 commandments. Is it "Thou shall not kill" or "Thou shall not murder"? And what about "graven image" carved in stone or a painting? The "Living Bible" is supposed to be easier to read, but I find a lot of the wording to completely different from what I understood them to be. I think we must read the Bible with our heart more then our minds. It is said that we are not capable of comprehending the actual spoken word of God. That 's is why there are visions and parables. Look at the women of the Bible. Where are the ordinary women? All are either saints or sinners?
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Translation bibles go back to the hebrew and greek and get the message across that way. Paraphrase bibles do look into the hebrew and greek but not to translate word for word but to share what that word for word is about.
    I have a couple of translation bibles and use my paraphrase bibles along with it. If I dont understand something in my translation bible I will go to my paraphrase bible. I use NLT mostly for translation and I use The Message for paraphrase but would like to get a few more like Word on the Street, a new one called the Mirror Translation is being written about 10 books are available to read online. There are other pharaphrase bibles Id like to obtain as well. Alot of times we have seasons , one season Ill read the niv another the NKJ, I have the amplified as well. The key is this when you read the version you are reading... does it draw you closer to God, does it take you deeper into knowing Him? cont
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If not then you may want to try reading a different translation or paraphrase bible.
    I have heard this works for many people not to be stuck with just one translation but to get to know the different facets of The Creator and the Kingdom of Heaven.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree that there's differences in translation most definitely. I believe that the King James Version is probably the most accurate translation, but I use the new american standard bible for most of my reading and often compare with the kjv to check on things. The translation makes such a huge difference in some scriptures, like a pp said..
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 6:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Absolutely. Some words are so wrongly mistranslated that the concept looses all original meaning. The original Hebrew is a complex language that has words for terms that are impossible to properly translate in one word. More often than not the word decided upon doesn't really convey the actual meaning. Take the word "tumah", for example, used to refer to a woman during her menstrual cycle. It has been mistranslated as "impure" therefore creating a whole feminist backlash of why the Bible calls menstruating women "impure". The actual meaning of "tumah" is a condition of SPIRITUAL impurity resulting from having contact with death. Men experience it as well when they visit a cemetery, for example, which is why Jews ritually wash their hands after leaving a cemetery.

Continued...

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010