what would you do?

Ok, i have a neighbor that hardly ever talks to me that has 2 young girls (her girls ages about 10-12 i think) and they come over and talk to me and play with my 2 year old daughter out in our yard every so often...but the mother never really says anything to me...well yesterday while I was strapping my daughter in her car seat to go do some shopping , this woman yells my name (which i didnt even know she knew) and starts waving with a smile & proceeded to tell me how Sunday is her daughters b-day & her parents are driving in from out of town ect. as well as a bunch of other friends & fam...well she invited me & my daughter to come over...HERE'S MY PROBLEMS: Ive never really talked to this woman & might feel out of place, I would feel rude not getting her daughter a gift & showing up (i have no extra $ right now), AND im having a baby the next day...I havn't been feeling well on top of still having a ton to do and im the only

xtatianax

Asked by xtatianax at 7:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• one who can get them done ( i have no help, my S/O isnt going to be home for a few more months)...she honked when passing by and told me not to forget about tomorrow... since she lives just a couple houses down I would feel rude if i didnt go...but im not sure i will have time or feel well enough,im scared that if I take a nap tomorrow or arn't feeling well that she will think im rude for not showing up, since she will see my car is home.... what should I do?!
    xtatianax

Comment by xtatianax (original poster) at 7:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Go to the Dollar Store and buy a couple things. Make something simple for the little one.
    But by all means go. This is the perfect time to get to know them a little better. With other people around you can actively participate or just observe. Lots of smiles. It will be good for your daughter to develop a aquaintance with the neighbors.
    With your husband away, you should encourage friendships close by. Two little kids you never know when you may need their help.
    Reach out and extend yourself. It is only an hour or two and you could enrich both your life and your children's life.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Hair items, might be good for a 10 or 12 year old. Wild picture frames.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with tootoobusy. You can go for a little while and then graciously excuse yourself. Everyone will understand if you say you have to finish getting things ready for the hospital, have to rest up.........or whatever. Practice what you will say so it is comfortable for you. OR You could take your gift over early and say that you have so much to do to get ready that you wanted to say happy birthday and deliver your present. I think it will mean so much to the little girl.

If you are invited this time you might be invited to the other's so keep the gifts inexpensive and continue to do what works best for you. It is the thought that counts and it will mean a lot to the girls. Best best wishes to you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I saw your other post about not having anyone else in the area, but your mom. I think you should go. This is a great way to meet people. There may be other people from your neighborhood there, also. Get something very cheap and you can tell them you are having the baby soon and can't stay long.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 10:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Just go over to say hey and tell the girl happy B-day. People will see how pregnant you are and will understand that you probably don't feel well enough to hang around.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Tell her that while you're happy she invited you, your baby is due any day now and it's a bad idea to make any solid plans. Apologize for not having a gift for her daughter; any extra money was spent for the coming baby. She can take it like an adult and understand or she'll be a total bitch about it and blow up in your face. If the latter happens, take it like a grain of salt and just walk away.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would have made a really nice card with your daughter and walked it over, even if early. But at this point it's over and you've had your baby! :o) Congrats!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2010