Should prostitution be legalized nationwide (in the USA)?

Many European countries actually regulate it, so its both safe and brings in some national revenue. Since they can't stop it, they chose to work with it to their economic advantage.

Should the entire USA do the same (not just a few states that already do), since there's really no way to stop people from paying for sex and being sneaky about it. Why should the money go to some pimp, when it could go towards paying off our national deficit?

Just an idea.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't believe the government has the right to dictate who chooses to engage in relationships with who or for what reason. As long as they're consenting adults who agree to the terms, no one has the right to tell them they can't. It never made sense to me that someone could go out and sleep with as many people as they want in a night, but someone else couldn't sleep with just one for money....

I do believe that it needs to be regulated. No pimps, constant testing, etc, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think so. Imagine how much easier it would be for cops to find child prostitutes and people held as sex slaves and prosecute their handlers if every legal prostitute also wanted them off the street and had nothing to lose by reporting it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Does that mean that prostitutes would have to be licensed?
    Tested for STDs and Drugs regularly?
    Regulate and control what street corners they stand on?
    Only approved positions allowed?
    What makes you think it would get rid of pimps?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes so they would have to pay taxes on what they earn just like the rest of us.

Answer by louise2 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes it should, it's going on anyway so why not make them get tested and pay taxes. Eliminate the middle man ie: PIMPS

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes, legalize-regulate-tax. It's not the govts job to tell consenting adults what they can do to or with their own bodies.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yep, legalize it and tax the crap out of it. I'll still find it disgusting and immoral, but it's not my business what two people do with their bodies and their money.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes. If you want to make money doing something you enjoy, then you should be able to and not have to move to Nevada to do it.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Or porn - people can get paid to have sex in front of a camera with the intention of selling that tape for people to see and for a profit - isn't that almost the same thing?

So I fully support prostitution being legalized. Tap into that revenue. Keep the girls safe and healthy. Seems like a win-win to me.,,,,
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Porn brings up an interesting issue - isn't that already prostitution? The people are having sex for money, they just aren't getting the money from the person with whom they are having sex.

I think it should be legal. Sex is a legal activity that has mostly rational restrictions (consent, minors, etc.). Exchanging money for a service is also legal, again with mostly rational restrictions (consent, taxes). I don't see why adding money to sex should make it illegal.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2010