Do Clothes Need AC In Florida?

My kids won't stop throwing every stitch of clothing out of the dressers, closets, baskets and even the dryer. They change clothes 20 times a day for no reason and every time they get something they completely empty the dresser and closets on to the floor. I've had it, there are 5 of them doing it from ages 5-12 and I can't be doing 15 loads of wash a day.

I'm thinking of putting the dressers in the garage where they can't get them. ( I will get their clothes for them.) They only worry I have is if the clothes could get ruined out there due to the florida heat and humidly. Does anyone know? Would the clothes be ok?

Thanks for any thoughts

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• have them so thier own laundry and maybe they'll stop...
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would worry about the moist heat and mildew. Maybe put a dehumidifier in the garage with your clothes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Do not wash them. Make them pick them up, fold them, and replace them in their drawers and closet.
    You do not wash things because they were taken out of the drawer.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I'm in agreement with the other two responses:

Have them fold and put away their stuff. Refuse to wash anything they haven't worn.

The 12-year-old should definitely be able to do their own laundry, start to finish. Even a 5-year-old can collect laundry, fold clean stuff (not necessarily well, but does that really matter?), and put it away. Nothing helps your desire to not make laundry like having to do it yourself.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Make them do their own laundry. You are not punishing them, you are simply getting them ready to take care of themselves and their belongings, so they will know how when they are on their own. Sounds like you've been their laundry maid too long.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I live in Florida, and I wouldn't leave clothes there. Not only will it mess up the clothes, but also the dressers.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Don't LET them change their clothes so many times a day! My kids are only allowed to change if they get completely filthy and it's not near bathtime yet.
    Anonymous

• Hang their clothes, so they can see everything available to them....that's what we do! They have two hanging rods--shirts on the top, bottoms on the bottom. Underwear, socks, jammies and seasonal clothes like bathing suits, and sports clothes go in their dressers.

If the clothes are clean, make THEM hang them back up! By running around cleaning up after them, you're encouraging spoiled brat behavior! If they want to wear wrinkled, frumpy looking clothes so be it. Hang or fold them ONCE, and only wash what has been placed in the HAMPER!! If it's not in the hamper, it doesn't get washed....they'll learn quickly!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010