What is "colic"?

I've been seeing a lot of questions lately on colic. My personal feeling is that colic is doctor speak for "We dont know what's wrong, he/she'll outgrow it; just wait it out." Which I find unacceptable. I believe there is always a reason behind infant crying. Maybe they want held, upset tummies, etc. My first course of action when DS was 3 weeks old was to take him to a chiropractor and it worked wonders. So I'm wondering who has had a colicky baby, what if anything worked for you, and what, exactly, do you think "colic" is?

new_mom808

Asked by new_mom808 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I agree, I don't think it is right to just chalk it up to colic and let a baby be in pain and scream. My son did this for the first 9 months of life. So hard.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Undeveloped tummy and a lot of gas in there tummy. I think they can not process there gas in the tummy. I watched a little girl when I was a teenager OMG she cried for hours. Then her mother told me she ate peppers and drank soda. No wonder why the baby was in more pain. My mom had to come over and help me because the mom did not pick up her cell phone. The mother was nursing besides.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• gas in tummy!

Answer by older at 9:40 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I thinks it wiring error in the still-developing brain.

My older son had colic.  There was NOTHING that would comfort him when he was crying.  I held him, fed him, changed him, tried to soothe him, etc.  He would just scream and scream and scream for hours on end.  It was like clockwork.  At exactly 11pm no matter if he had just been fed, changed or gone to sleep he would suddenly start wailing.  He would scream, cry or whimper until 2am and then it would just shut off.  Like a switch being flipped.  He would suddenly yawn and go back to sleep.  It was every single night.  There is no way he was just having gas at exactly 11pm-2am every single night. 

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• im not sure but whatever you do it dont stop the baby from crying. I thx God my dd never had it but my friend baby had it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• non stop crying ..can't get comfortable..my last 2 kids had it..they say it's from gas ..idk..sometimes i think they just wanted mommy to stay up 24 hrs a day...lol...it was deff something i don't want to go threw again!! ♥
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my oldest son had colic..and he cried all night long...I was a very young mother and clueless!!!! This was many years ago...I took him to the pediatrician and she gave him phenobarbital......wow looking back on it...that was some strong stuff.....it worked! But if I had to do it all over again...I would have ask for some thing different
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• colic could be caused by gas or painful bowel cramps. some babies might be sensitive to the (lactose) protein in some formula.
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Check out The Happiest Baby on the Block - it was a lifesaver for our family! Our second born baby had colic and it was awful until we got these tools.
    MamatoSam818

Answer by MamatoSam818 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Immature digestive system. Many Memories of Nutramigen.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 11:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010