How do I get him to stop climbing on the table!?!

My son is 10 months old and he has resently started ignoring my requests, and refuses to stay off the table, the playstation, etc. I just dont know what to do anymore, I have tried putting him in time out for one minute, but he doesnt get it yet. Any suggestions?

LuvOurLittleMan

Asked by LuvOurLittleMan at 11:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it were my son I would spank his hand and tell him NO in a firm voice and if he cries let him pout. You only hurt his feelings. And as for the getting on the table, stand/sit by him and when he moves to get on the table tell him no and put him back in his seat or on the floor. (wherever he came from) Let him know mama means business. You can lightly spank his thigh if he continues to disobey but it has to be enough that he knows you are serious not playing. He is pushing boundaries and this is a great time for him to learn to respect mama and obey the first time. Good luck.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 11:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Congratulations - you've just reached the "testing their limits" age with your child..... brace yourself, it could be a long two months....

What I did, my dd is a climber, is told her now with a firm tone, removed her from the situation (but only a foot or two) and repeat when she would go back to it. As she got to be 11 and 12 months, I'd give a light but firm spank to the diaper, just enough to hurt her feelings after the third or fourth no on the same object... and removed entirely from situation if it got to be more than seven tries in a sitting. Beware, once he's past the table, he'll move to something else, etc.

Consistancy is key --- and he WILL grow out of it --- but right now, he's testing everything in his world.
    pd4now82

Answer by pd4now82 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm FIRMLY opposed to spanking, especially when a child is so young. The only thing you can do is be vigilant, every time he starts to climb up on the table, remove him, try to give him some kind of "approved" activity to distract him. I'd also find a new place to put the playstation when he's out and about. Babyproof the whole area he spends his time in, that means don't just make the area safe for him, make the things you value safely kept FROM him. The above post is right about one thing, consistency is absolutely key. No matter what you do, do the same thing every time. Eventually the message will get through his head that the table is NOT a stage for him.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 11:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Also, it's obvious that he's a climber, and with most climbers, giving him some an "approved" climbing surface might help. A friend of mine had a climber, and put one of these in her play area -
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3004166
    It was expensive, but sure saved her a lot of headache for the baby to have something she could climb on to her hearts content.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 11:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• if you "babyproof" your entire house he is not gonna learn boundaries. I believe that children should learn at a young age what they are allowed to mess with and what they are not allowed to mess with. It teaches them respect and obedience and then you don't have toddlers throwing temper tantrums nearly as much. He will learn if you stay consistent with one form of discipline. Whatever that may be.
    Anonymous

• my house was baby proofed, I do not spank, and my children are among the best behaved children I know. They learned quickly that tantrums got them nowhere, and I only dealt with one or two tantrum from any of my children EVER. It just makes sense to keep things out of their reach until they can be counted on to comprehend the principles of safety, which a 10 month old doesn't.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 2:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008