So for those Christians that believe in the gifts of the spirit...

Do you believe in the gift of speaking in tongue? Who do you believe can get this gift? what scriptures do you base it on? and What other gifts of the spirit do you believe in?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 8:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are a lot that believe they can speak in tongues. I have a bit of an issue with this but it is not my place to judge I personally don't believe in speaking tongues but that is just me.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i have serious doubts that this 'ability' is Holy Spirit-derived. meaning, my scriptural understanding tells me there is no confusion, and there should be interpretation present, as well as the babbling. in all my life of church-going, there's been no interpretation. its been total yuk-yuk to my ears. my 'discerning' spirit tells me its more of a put-on, and people 'think' they are 'slain in the Spirit', when in fact, its just their emotion and excitement that drives the glossolalia. (of course, one might say i was denying the Spirit, therefore, i wasn't privy to the message. but i would disagree.)

i believe all people have gifts, all of which are natural to that person, but some people hone them for better use, while others ignore them and let the gifts wane. like is often said concerning importance of an object, its what you do with it, that counts. 

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i don't believe anyone in this present day has the gift of speaking in tongues...i believe it was specifically reserved for the new church around the time that Christ lived on earth.
    michellelvs4

Answer by michellelvs4 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I believe that like many gifts there are those who have it and those who fake it. Yes, I do believe in speaking in tongues and in the gift of interpretation. I don't think that everyone has the same gifts so no, not everyone can interpret these messages. But, I do think there are some who like to make spectacle of themselves and want the attention, it's the way some people are.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I believe everyone can get ALL the gifts of the spirit, the key is choosing to receive it.
    One of the apostles spoke about tongues but also said He rather all prophesy. This does not mean no one needs the gift of tongues.
    Tongues is for edification as well as prophecy. I believe we all have a measure of the gifts but some are stronger than others because of the calling on our lives. I have received just about all the gifts and operated in all of the ones I received! Not to boast but to say that I chose to receive the gifts He has given me.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• In the Acts of the Apostles, at the Descent of the Holy Ghost, the Disciples were able to speak so that people from all over the known world could understand. My understanding is that the gift does not involve some hybrid language that sounds like gbberish to others. I could be wrong... I have no direct experience with it.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I believe everything the BIble says about it. I use to think it was totally werid, but haha, alas God worked on my heart about it. It's true, and as werid as it may be for us its a beautiful gift. In Acts chapter 2 and 1 Corinthians 13, lists the gifts of the spirit and how they are used.
    I believe all that choose to receive it, will. God is a gentleman and will not force it on anyone :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 5:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I believe the gift of tongues has three parts, one that's a spiritual laungage that can be said many times and only all spirits can understand which both my mother and I have and goes with our ministries and second the gift of interpretation of tounges which my mother has. Only God can give someone the interpretation of a tongue message that He gave someone else that is only to be spoken once, at that specific time, and the interpretation also will not be repeated again. And then third there is also the gift of known tongues where the person speaking does not know the language but the person being spoken to does. It's all a prophetic gift. I will be more than happy to accept any and all gifts that God will give me or wants me to have.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• A lot of people pray in tongues in private only, and that is not done to impress other people. I believe that all of the gifts of the Spirit are still given to people, but I don't think a person is any less Chistian if they don't have these gifts or don't think they are still operating today.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:45 PM on Oct. 18, 2010