Is Lay-away worth it?

Never really done it before but was thinking about doing it this year.

JuJubean1979

Asked by JuJubean1979 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Worth it? There really is nothing there to make it "not worth it". It's simply a program where you pay a little over time and pick your stuff up after it's paid in full. It holds the items for you, so to speak. Yes, it's definitely worth it for Christmas gifts or anything or anytime else you need to buy lots of stuff. I always put my kids' Christmas gifts on layaway, because I had no where to store it. All I had to do was worry about the last few days before Christmas. You don't pay any additional money to do this. It's all going towards your purchase any way.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• ok I guess that is what I meant was is there like additional money you actually have to pay out :) thanks though
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think they have a small service charge. I like law-a-way but rarely use it because I would need longer time than what they allow. I do believe they extend the time during the holidays.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• hmm something to check in to I guess :)
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Some places do charge a fee. Some also charge a cancellation fee that is non-refundable if the order is canceled.

Answer by Bmat at 9:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• it's the same as just saving up a little at a time and there's no service charge the only thing I don't like about it is if you have it half paid for you don't get that money back if you can no longer make payments so I guess for me it goes both ways
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It's great if you want to pay a little every few weeks so that you're not shelling out a whole bunch at once, and it's an alternative to using a credit card. Sears & K-Mart both have it, they charge a nonrefundable $5 fee, and there's a 10% cancellation fee if you choose to cancel it, or you don't make your payments on time (there's like a week "grace period" before they cancel). So, as long as you don't cancel, it's just an extra $5 which is added to your total.
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It comes down to this - if you have a credit card, and the interest you would be charged on your shopping between now and when it's paid off would be more than $5, it's a good deal. If you have a low or no interest rate card and would pay it off long before you'd ever pay $5 in interest, that would be your better option. The third idea is to divide your shopping into small pieces between now and Christmas and just pay cash outright for one or two things at a time each week instead of buying it all now and hoping you can make the payments on all of it in time. If you do it that way you'll get the benefit of all the sales that will kick in around Thanksgiving and through December, while putting it on layaway takes that away and locks you into full retail price now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Well if you dont have the money up front lay-a-way is great, plus you can get your shopping done early and just pay a little at a time. If there's something you really want if you dont get it then it wont be there later, so lay-a-way helps you out.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my mom uses it tomake sure she has an item and it wont be out of stock or sold out, or on sale items that are marked down for a limited time only.
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 12:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2010