Does your teen do his homework?

My son is not doing homework, but tells me it's done and even shows me completed work. Of course his grades are suffering and my heart is breaking. He's a good kid. He's soooo smart. Why is his being so hard headed?
He sings beautifully by the way...listen to him on my blog
www.sillylittlesparrow.com

YipeeLeah

Asked by YipeeLeah at 11:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• We have just been through a similar thing with our 12 year old son. Is he playing any video games or pcs games that are taking up his time. Like my son was so into World of Warcraft that we had to take it away from him after a month during the summer. He has later admitted that he was addicted to it and also just lately he has told me that it is very social at school. PM me and I can tell you more about what we have done. Its like night and day with our son right now. Good luck!
    Britmum72

Answer by Britmum72 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• my son is know 17 but around 12 13 he did the same thing he was a very good student but his grades went down and it was all because he didnt do his homework he would ace his test so he knew how to do it he just chose not to. he is better know that he is older but what i did was i had to go to the school and get daily progress report he would  have to get it signed for every subject so if he did not turn in his homework even if it was in just 1 class. i would take away something he liked until he turned in the missing work after awhile of this he learned it was easier to just do it and hand it in then have to go to the teacher everyday and then get his video game or tv taken away. teenage boys and homework ahhhh. good luck but this did work for us.

sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 12:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• hi, im 17. i always forget to do most my homework, i will remember some of it, but forget the rest. my mom used to have a planner for me, and she would send it to school with me everyday and each class i would write what the homework was, and then at the end of class have the teacher sign it so my mom would know exactly what i had to do. It was embarressing for me, but eventually i got my stuff together and didnt have to have a book signed. maybe that will help with your son.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• he is a very great singer! he plays the gutair great too! he will make it far! ecspecially sice he had the guts to play in front of his public school! i would never be able to do something like that!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• to be honest.... i didnt do my homework.... i was bored in school.... and just ready to get out.... i disliked most of the people around me and i wasnt motivated...... but do what you have to do..... email his teachers and ask them to email assignments to you.... take 20 mins to check if they are the correct assignments that he is showing you..... ask him if he is bored and what does he think could give him a bit more motivation
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 4:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son was the same way in 8th grade and when he started high school he wanted to join JRROTC and what a diifrence it has made he is now a amost 4.0 student he just needed something to modivate him to do well
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I ask my son daily and her tells us he is doing it during study hall or class, then the 5 week report comes and most classes say he is missing work. This is after DH told him from the beginning of school year that if he doesn't to his hw this year he will lose texting until report card comes! He gets good grades anyway and his response is that if he can be in the high 80's/low 90's without doing all the hw why bother?! So I feel your frustration.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My 16 yr old is a good student, but his teachers are informing us that he's not turning in certain assignments. We asked him why. He didn't know anything about it, but the kid can't lie to save his life. One teacher emails us his assignments so we can make sure they get done. It's not a huge problem for him, but like I told him it's affecting his GPA and he could be getting all A's, which will lead to more scholarship money, better schools, etc. He has no reason for not turning it in. I think it was football, 4H, friends, volleyball games, FACEBOOK!!! Talk to his teachers and ask them to communicate with you. It is part of their job to do that, especially if he's doing the work. Maybe he needs more stimulation academically or a good dose of "You're grounded!" Every kid works differently.
    jdubois

Answer by jdubois at 12:24 AM on Nov. 1, 2008