how to get your kids to respect you more?

i have 3 kids and 2 are at home just wandering how to get kids to respect you more.

springmist

Asked by springmist at 9:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• That really starts from day one. Kids will respect you when you enforce discipline, do as you say, be honest with them and give them some responsibilities. Otherwise, if you are referring to an older child, if they are not respecting you, you simply need to back off your responsibilities towards them, or cut them off, so to speak. You have to be strong and enforce tough love principles. Remember that old saying, if you give them an inch, they'll want a mile?? It's true. Cut them off for a while and see what they do...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Respect is earned, it just doesn't appear one day, it is a long process and if they are now adults it is harder to get there.......I think to get respect you must also give it.

Answer by older at 9:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Honestly I do not know how to answer this question because I have had no issues with any of my children respecting me or DH. They are very respectful towards us and eachother. My mother actually thinks we have them on drugs or something because I never have to repeat myself and they do as they are told without questioning me or DH. I would have to say it also depends on how you request things from them...I mean I ask once and they do it but I include thank you/please and "I would appreciate it if you would do _____"
    We are never ever demanding and I guess maybe that is why we never have issues...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• BY respecting them from the start.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You ever heard of Madea well you got to get like her and act crazy for a minute not hit them but act just like them then they wil look at you like darn we act like that. LOL i know I saw u smile.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• what are their ages??? have they always disrespected you???
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:30 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• depends on what you mean by disrespect. if they are swearing at you, or mistreating you that's one thing.
    my mother lectured me constantly on my so called 'disrespect' translation:
    you won't stop seeing the boyfriend I don't like (I still say he didn't deserve the treatment she gave, she accused him of things he didn't do.)
    you insist on wearing clothes you like vs the ones I think are good.
    you make dinners that everyone likes to eat, so now they won't eat my cooking!
    when your teacher asked you why you were limping,you told them that your dad hit you (he did)
    you bought a different brand of cheese then I told you to (because that's what my baby brother liked, you remembered wrong)
    you deep condition your hair even though I told you it makes your hair too flat for a few days. (I can handle that)

it all depends on the situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• from the time they where small they where to give that to you if you are not get it now you will never get it ,time to think for your self treat your self to things go out to dinner let them make their own time for making them do their own laundry mom on strike this might change them some and for respect the have to earn them it is not some thing you give away feerly a mom who nows
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Respect is something that should've started from day one. I know as kids get older they tend to throw everything they were taught out the window though. Depending on what age they are, it could just be a phase. Respect is earned. You have to show respect to get it in return. And if they're still being disrespectful, give them a taste of their own medicine.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You can't ! They either do or they don't even if you have raised them with high moral standards. Believe me one day they will wish they had been more respectful. If you made mistakes then so be it. Haven't we all. I get that thrown up in my face ALL the time. They will remember one bad moment and forget the thousands of wonderful ones. Please do not let this ruin your life. If in your heart you know you have done the best you could do in the circumstances you are in then let it go.
    bcross21

Answer by bcross21 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2010