would it work

if I mix together a regular cake mix with a pound cake one?

I am making a kinda big cake for my daughter's school for a fundraiser- and wondering if mixing pound cake with the other will make it a bit stronger and taste right?
*it's spice cake that I'm using...
that might be easier than doctoring up the mix

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 9:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't try mixing the two together. If you mixed a spice cake and a yellow cak mix together, that could work, because they're basically the same thing, just with spices added. You would be better off making them seperate, and then putting the two together. That would make a more interesting cake anyway.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don’t know but what you can do is make them separately and then just layer the two cakes.  Then just ice the cake. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• What are the chances you have the ingredients on hand to supplement with regular "from scratch" cake ingredients? It's just flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar, plus the different spices/vanilla etc that go in based on the cake flavor. I'd trust that more than trying to mix two different types of mix that have different textures.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• You can try it and see. The textures of the two cakes are different so I'm not sure what you would end up with.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• yeah that's the thing...maybe I will make one for US first and see-it's just that a trip to the store is like 20 miles there and back and I don't wanna get stuck with a bunch of pound cake mixes if it won't work!
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I guess what I'll do then is jsut make the bottom layer with pound cake and do the rest with the spice

*I tried the adding stuff to a cake mix thing last year for a topsy turvy type birthday cake and ...yeah...it was beautiful in the end- but not without a lot of cake breakage and headache
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I am with the other Mommies I don't think it would work out.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2010