How can I get my 1 year old to drink MILK???

My son is just over one, and we are trying to get him to drink milk so I can wean him from breastfeeding. However, he doesn't like it! He does drink watered down applejuice. I have tried the vanilla flavored milk, I have tried putting a little pedi-sure chocolate flavored in it. Also I have tried putting yogurt juice to flavor it in it. Also, strawberry flavor. And he still doesn't like it. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ovaltine?
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 9:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• put a little chocolate syrup or strawberry syrup in it to coax him into drinking it then slowly cut back on the amount of syrup until he is drinking it straight/plain. it may take month or two but be persistent, he will come around. Also when you make his cereal make a big deal out of using milk for his bowl to make it taste better. Also make a big deal out of when daddy drinks milk because hes a big bogy and your son wants to be like daddy, right? . Its a mind concept thing, even if he doesnt like the flavor...he will do it on a hero worship idea.Good Luck.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• no don't put choc or strawberry syrup in there, they don't need that much sugar. mix the milk with your breastmilk, first like 1/3 milk, then 1/2 milk, then 3/4 milk...just wean him slowly...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• you may need to warm up the milk as well, if their used to the warm breastmilk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Try soy milk. My BF'ed son didn't like the taste of milk until he turned 2, but he liked soy milk. You can get it unsweetened, too. Look for the vitamin-fortified versions, so he still gets his calcium and vitamin D.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• You don't do anything. As long as he is getting other dairy and a varitey of foods, he will be ok. You can also give him calcium fortified juices. Once my son was off the bottle, he refused to drink milk and the doc said NO human needs milk. Yogurt, cheese, even ice cream are all sources of dairy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Mix 1 oz of mik into 6 oz of breast milk and adjust by an oz every few days.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:27 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My DS was on formula but we introduced it slowly like the others said. 1 oz to 7 oz formula one day. Then 2 oz to 6 oz formula the next day. etc. He may have taken it straight but our ped suggested that because it is better for his belly that way as well. Try easing in to it...GL
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• As I said I have tried the strawberry syrup. I have tried soy as well. And I have no extra breastmilk to have him drink from a cup. Also tried warming he still will take a sip then push cup away.
    ????
    HarpersMom715

Comment by HarpersMom715 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• you may not be for but it helped me with my son.... a little strawberry powder in his whole milk seems to work.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010