What to do with puking todder?

DS is almost 3. He threw up once last night, slept normally and has throw up 3 times this morning since 8am. His temp is only 96. I've given him a water and DH is getting him a Sprite, some Gatorade and chilren's Tylenol.

IS there any point in him taking Tylenol? Wht should we do besides keep him hydrated? When do we need to call the doctor?

llove12

Asked by llove12 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Health

• Tylenol will only bring the fever down and help with pain...if he's in pain then Tylenol will help, if not then there's no use. just lots of rest, and clear liquids to keep him hydrated
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Lots of rest, water, etc. Definitely keep him hydrated! When his tummy is less "wobbly" start him on simple, bland things. I like the "B.R.A.T." diet when my girl or I are sick with a stomach bug. B.R.A.T.: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast..... There's no sense in giving him tylenol unless his fever gets higher, or he's in pain.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My pediatrician told me that as long as they are peeing once every 6 hours they are not dehydrating. Keep pushing fluids. Vomiting is the bodys natural defense against something that ot doesn't like. If there is no fever tylenol won't do much. And use the brat diet when he can eat.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I figured the tylwnol was pointless but whenever DS isn't feeling 100% that's the first thing my husband wants to get whether he has a cold or stubbed his toe :) The bad thing about the BRAAT diet is DS wont eat bananas or bread and he ate rice last night before he threw up. We do have some applesauce though which he loves.

Thanks ladies.
    llove12

Comment by llove12 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't give him sprite or gatorade sometimes sugary drinks make it worse
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• doctors say sprite is ok, it hydrates you and helps with messed up tummies. they even recommended it when my son wasn't even 1yrs old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have three kids and if sick. Our doctor says to do gatorade or even pediate. Can even find in popslices. Or wise I would do toast, jello, crackers, applesauce.Or the thing i have been doing now Is peppermint in a tea form,gum,candy, even candy canes work. Or even the other new thing I do is ginger snap cookies. Helps settles their stomach and learned it from grandma and sister uses them with her kids to settle car sickness. Let me know if want if that helps. I know sick kids are rough to take care.Just also lots of rest and some tender loving care does wonders. Just try to make them comfortable. Only use tynol if have fever. I never use medicine cause if bad stomche it will not stay down. Another thing for fever is the kids be cool patchs you can put on their chest or foreheads and will not upset their tommies,Hope that helps.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010