if you dont have a dishwasher.....

SO and I are planning to move soon and one place we like is way smaller than where we live now and *GASP* doesnt have a dishwasher...It's just three of us, but once we use dishes, they go in the dishwasher, we use them that night, then they go back in the dishwasher...I might as well store them in there instead of the cabinet LOL. But I'm just curious do you do ok without one? I grew up without one and it wasnt much of a hassle that I remember because it was what I was used to, but that was so long ago.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I do just fine without one. I am teaching my 14 yr old son how to do the dishes properly because he is horrible at it and I am sick of doing dishes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have one now didn't for over 30 years and I still prefer to do dishes by hand you'll get used to it just like anything else
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• it save tons of water you don't believe it our water bill was cut by 1/4 by not having a dishwasher anymore so it's okay and we do fine
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i know what you mean, we're moving into a place where the kitchen is so small, it wouldn't fit a dishwasher...my plan is to extend the kitchen as soon as possible...but as for now we're living with my dad until the house is ready to be moved into, he doesn't have a dishwasher. it's an annoyance at times to know i have to get them done, when i'm so used to just putting them in the dishwasher throughout the day and turning it on when we go to bed, but i do end up getting it done. it's one more chore to do that i would not like to have, especially since i look at the sink after i've already washed, clothed, and put my kids to bed, did laundry, cleaned the living room, table, picked up toys, swept the floor...and by then i'm ready to sit down but now i got dishes...it sucks but whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have a dishwasher, but I did dishes in the sink a month straight. I watned to see how much of a difference in the water bill it was....$20. Some days I put things in there but overall, I wash in the sink. you just get used to it. Of course, it's me and 2 babies the majority of time. Then as they dirty things through the morning, I wash them. Then at lunch, new water, same for dinner time.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I am miserable without one there are 7 of us and I have to fight to get anyone else to do them that or let them sit for like 3 days whhich I just can't stand to do lol but with the kids getting a dif cup everytime they get a drink and all the plates and forks and all I really hate it I wanna dishwasher for christmas or my anniversary or my b-day one they're all not to far off lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We just got one again after 4 years without having one. It's not a big deal not having a dishwasher, but I do like that the dirty dishes are not getting piled up in the sink (or that when they are it's an easy fix to move them out of sight until the dishwasher is full. It probably won't take you very long to get used to not having a dishwasher.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:17 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I hate it, but we're managing. I put on some music, let the boy dance in the kitchen by me or go play in his play room, and get them done that way. Dishes are my most despised chore, though, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• we have a dishwasher in our apartment but I can honestly say that in all the time we have lived here, I have NEVER once used the damn thing. I hate dishwashers for some reason. It just seems like my dishes are cleaner when I wash them by hand. The only time I could see using my mine would be on thanksgiving & christmas, just due to the amount of cooking I'm going to be doing.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2010