if you have moved from a big house to a small house...

SO and I are looking to move (rent) and one place which is cheaper than where we live now is so much smaller. We live in a 3 bdrm/2bth double wide. The house we are interested in is 2 bdrm/1 bth, but $50 cheaper in rent. We have A LOT of downsizing to do...if you were in a similar position how did you handle it? Where did you start? I'm always nervous about moving and hate change, but it needs to be done. BTW I'm the one who posted on here about no dishwasher lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Just start in on room and weed through everything. Toss, donate and keep. Put the room back together then move on to the next room and so on and so forth. Then go through them again reevaluating whether you REALLY need whatever you keep. Clearing things out will actually make you feel great and simplify life.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We moved from a 2000 sq ft home to a 925 sq ft home with no garage because it was the only rental available. We had a HUGE garage sale and got rid of a lot of our stuff. Hubby's family helped us move and ended up taking more of our stuff. We still lived with boxes in closets and hidden under tables, it was really bad. We finally were able to move again in May and have another house that is the right size for us. Basically, clear out the things you don't HAVE to have. I would recommend a storage building, but since you are only saving $50 a month, you probably would pay more for storage than you are saving. Good luck.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We moved from much bigger space to smaller space. It is still the hardest thing to organize the living. Unfortunately I get so much clutter and disorganization, that if your savings just 50 bucks a month... i would not do so...
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with ganna04, if you'll only be saving $50 a month I wouldn't move just yet. I understand the needing to cut the budget, but this new house may not be the place. Unless it's an emergency that you move ASAP I'd keep looking. :)

I was also thinking, if you're renting and it may be short term, a storage unit. But again with the $50, you'd end up spending more over all than you are now on the bigger house.

I think Melbornj has the right idea. Go room by room and just get rid of what you can.

We just bought a larger home than what we were living in, but the layout is quite different and the living room is about half the size of our old place. Luckily it's just the living room so it was really just a matter of getting rid of a couple of large pieces of furniture that just wouldn't work here. I can't imagine having to down size the entire house. Good luck!
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Depends on if you plan on down sizing permantly or temporarly. $50 a month less does not sound enough for me to move and get rid of half my stuff. JMO. You could just rent a storage room and put your extra stuff in it. Or have a big yard sale.

Answer by louise2 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We had to do it. We wrote down exactly what we wanted to take from each room. Then we drew a sketch of the new place and placed everything on paper. Had to do some measuring to make sure some of the stuff would fit. Then we had a big yard sale that was more work than it was worth. After that we gave stuff away to friends, Salvation Army, and finally we had a junk guy come and take the rest.. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes. Donate, pitch what you can. It can be tough.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2010