is it disrespectful or even racist to have this thought?

one of my best friend's daughter is turning 4 and i want to get her a barbie. they now have black barbies and white barbies, her daughter is half white and a quarter black. i know her daughter wouldnt care whether the barbie is black or white, but by getting her a black barbie am i sending the wrong message? i really dont want to offend my friend by asking her or by getting her daughter a black barbie and her thinking "oh why did you get her a black barbie?" you know? would it be offensive to get her a black barbie?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i wouldnt be offended, but who knows if she would people can be so funny about stuff like that. i wouldnt have even thought twice about it, but good for you for being sensitive
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would go with game or book, if this is such an issue....
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The only one who knows if it would be offensive is the childs mom. So if you aren't willing to ask her, just get her something else!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i wouldnt go with the barbie then..depending on what kinda person she is..she may think you arent being friendly and read too much into things.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I am currently pregnant with a baby boy that is a quarter black. I'm really not sure if I would be offended or not but honestly I would probably play it safe and get a white barbie. I don't think you are being racist at all, I'm sure anyone would worry about this. I guesss it really depends on the situation, if the family embraces the black heritage or not. Good luck!
    Ashley21

Answer by Ashley21 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would go with a Barbie you think the girl will like, not the color of the skin. I don't think you are being racist, this type of thing matters to some people while others don't care at all. When my kids were little they picked their dolls based on the outfits and accessories that came with them, so we have a rainbow of Barbies. I remember being a kid and having several shades of Barbies as well. I never thought anything of it, and I'm about as fair skinned as they come. (c:  Of course you could play it safe and go with something like Littlest Pet Shop or My Little Pony so there is no issue of race at all.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• T me it wouldn't be a problem, but to her mom who knows, better go for the sure thing and get her something else.

Answer by older at 11:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• ...i think some of you sound really ignorant..so what if you are a quarter mexican, 1/2 black..or 2/3s white..i didnt know they made certain toys that only certain children could play with. my son is a white boy..however my mother is always buying him handy many, dora, diego, candy from the mexican store..i never tell her he shouldnt have any of these things because he isnt part mexican
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I buy my children dolls of both colors and my kids are white. I personally wouldn't be offended but it is really hard to say what others might think you could always ask.....maybe something along the line of "You know I was out looking and saw the cutest barbie for ??" if she ask about it go into detail and gauge her reaction.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• well, though my friend is white and her dad is only half black, her daughter has pretty dark skin for being just a quarter black. she has really beautiful skin! i wouldnt think it should be a problem..but you just never know and i would hate to offend her. ill probably just get her something else. thanks for all the answers!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010