How long can you go with a temporary cap after a root canal?

I got my root canal done over a month ago and I currently don't have the money to get the permanent cap put on. I've had a root canal done before but it was so many years ago, I don't remember. I just remember going a long time without a permanent cap until the temporary cap finally wore away and my tooth cracked. I wana say it was months and months before that happened. I mean I've already had to come up with about $700 just for the procedure and the permanent cap is an extra $300. Ughhh.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Health

• It all depends. I had a root canal done in 2008 the day before my husband deployed to Iraq and spent the entire time he was gone with a temporary filling and had no problems. I also had a root canal done in 2005 and instead of getting a crown, the dentist put a filling on it and fused it to the sides of both teeth and it abscessed. I ended up losing the tooth. Be gentle because the tooth underneath will be fragile and could break as you already know. It's all going to depend on what you eat, the quality of the temporary crown, how well it was in place, etc. Hopefully you get it fixed soon!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i went about 4 years but my tooth cracked and they had to do surgery on my gums before they could cap it- ended up being more expensive that way in the long run... but i had no choice since I didn't have insurance
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:52 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Basically depends on the quality of the temp and variuous circumstances.
    I suggest saving as you go, do not touch the money and when u can afford to get the permanent, get it.
    It can last a long while but can last a short while, it is all circumstantial. GL!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010