Jeez mom...thanks for that...

My son is 4 and a half months old. He's a great baby, but he absolutely WILL NOT take naps during the day. I've tried EVERYTHING. trust me. But he's always very full of energy and wiggly and all that...and today my mom told me that shes wondering if he has ADHD. wtf? Can babies this young HAVE ADHD? I have a younger brother with it but....4 months old? Thoughts pleasE?

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is just an active baby. I wouldn't worry about it. My son is 11 weeks and is just not starting to take naps during the day. He hasn't up til now and there is nothing wrong with him. Your baby just doesn't want to miss anything. He likes to be awake and see the world.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 11:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• This is a normal thing, especially if the baby is getting an outragous amount of sleep at night. Babies at this age should be getting between 8-10 hours of sleep at night and about 2-4 hours of sleep during the day. If you are letting your baby get more than 10 hours at night, you are cutting into his nap time. My suggestion to you is to start scheduling your babies sleep rather than letting him sleep when and were he falls. Food also contributes, but I agree with the other poster, your baby is curious and active, learning, loving, and playing. This a great time to start reading and teaching your baby about the world.
    LuvOurLittleMan

Answer by LuvOurLittleMan at 11:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My son is 3 months and is like that. He is up all day with maybe a 20 minute power nap. But he sleeps all night so I try not to complain too much but personally I love my middle-of-the-day naps lol. I wouldn't worry about ADHD yet, some babies are just very active. Wait until he's a toddler!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I am a vetran mum of two boys lol and you know what all babies are different. Mine slept for four months solid. We are all different. He will sleep when he starts rolling and crawling and being busy. Someone once said to me.... listen to everyones advice and then you decide because you are mum and you know your baby best. Good luck sweetie.
    Britmum72

Answer by Britmum72 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son was like that at first. My doctor told me not to worry about it because he'll sleep when he needs to sleep. Unless he's screaming the whole time he's awake, then there's something wrong. But if he's just up because he wants to be, and he doesn't seem like he's pain, he's perfectly fine.
    AndreaDawn1984

Answer by AndreaDawn1984 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

Read this article and pass it on to Mom (it applies to breastfeed or not). Your baby is completely normal, if anything his actions show he is meeting his milestones perfectly ; ).

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Just because your baby is active doesnt mean that he has ADHD, I think that diagnosis is used way to much, It's normal and I wouldn't worry about it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• no you cant have that at 4 months! at least you cannot tell, energy is a sign that he is healthy- tell her that... he is just healthy, about the naps, make him tired, make it dark, keep trying, quiet music, rocking, etc... i had to mock sleep like breathing to help my son sleep when i rocked him, that worked all the time!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My baby is the same way.. we work M-F, so on weekends she DOES NOT NAP... its all good.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 11:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008