My son is 6 months old and I'm not sure what kind of outerwear I'm going to need for the winter. Coat? Snowsuit? Coat Bag Thing?

My mom suggested this bag thing that you lay the baby in and zip them up which I guess would be nice because you don't have to worry about a blanket to cover up their legs if they are just wearing a coat. But I'm worried that it won't work so well with a car seat. Any suggestions? Thanks

smithb

Asked by smithb at 11:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd go with the suit kind. the bag kind will be annoying to him by the end of winter.

they also make carseat covers that work well if he's still in an infant carrier type car seat
    Anonymous

• I know people who use the bag for baby to sleep in. (they co-sleep with their babies, I would not suggest it if you are not there watching your baby at night). I wouldn't use it in a carseat personally. And it depends on what the weather is like in your area. I live in Texas so it doesn't get that cold. I would just dress him warm with no drafts and when in the carseat put a blanket over him and turn on the heater.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 11:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I bought my son a snowsuit. [He's 4 and a half months] Its soft and fluffy and not really bulky so it's not hard to use witha car seat. I didn't want one of those bag things because I was afraid that when he started crawling, he would have a hard time getting around if I put it on him before we left the house, say while I was getting my coat on or whatever. I would go with a snowsuit thats not super heavy and just cover him with a blanket too. It works for me! They also have things that go over rear facing car seats that cover baby all the way up except their face. Take a look around and see what would work best for you/
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• What your mom suggested is my recommendation too. There is a slit near the bottom of the suite between the child's legs that you use for the car seat.

We had a snow suit with pants (think jump suit-style, all-in-one thing), a seperate snow pants and winter coat, and a sack style outterwear for our daughter last year thanks to people giving us things. The sack style was by far the easiest to use. If we weren't using that, I used a coat and the car seat cover thing that previous posters suggested that covers the whole seat and tucked a blanket down by her legs.
    pd4now82

Answer by pd4now82 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm not sure either. I got the coat bag thing. It has a slit in it so you can fit the buckle of the carseat in it.
    AndreaDawn1984

Answer by AndreaDawn1984 at 1:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We got a bag thing for my baby BUT I just learned they aren't safe!! Anything that adds bulk under the straps of the car seat isn't safe. The reason is if you are in an accident the snowsuit squished under pressure creating space btween the baby and the straps and the baby flys out of the seat!! So we aren't going to be using it anymore. Right now we have another suit that isn't thick or bulky.. it's kind of like a blanket sleeper with a hood... but when it gets colder we will need something warmer. I think the things that go over the top are suppose to be safe.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2008