How to get baby started on cow's milk?

I have a question and there is no better place than to ask than here. Okay, so my daughter is going to be nine months old this month and I need to know what to do about switching her to cow's milk. I have breast fed since she was born. How do I go about introducing her to cow's milk? Would I mix it with my milk then slowly put more cow's milk. What kind of Cow's milk should i give her 1%,2%, Skim? Help I need a mother's advice!!!!!

Alicia320

Asked by Alicia320 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You've got the right idea. That's exactly what I did (only with formula). For me it just took about a week. Something else you might consider is just going cold turkey just one day when she's a year old no more mommy milk just cows milk. It might take her a day to get used to it but you can warm it up a little and that will make it easier. Whole milk toddlers need whole milk until they are 2. Although to be honest during the summer months I give my kids 2% because it's not so heavy on their tummy and they are less likely to puck it up if they get hot.

Good Luck Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job mommy.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I went cold turkey with my son after he turned 1 and he took to it very well. You could try that or if it doesn't work then you should mix it in with what she's used to.
    beckster_01

Answer by beckster_01 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• try giving her a sippy cup with milk in it. if she wont take it try putting in a little chocolate or strawberry milk powder in it, just enough to make it taste sweet. If she drinks that after a while add less and less until your giving her plain milk. As for what type of milk to use you should check with her doctor. Usually kids under a year old should have whole milk because of the fat content but if your little girl is chubby skim or 1% is fine. They all have the same amount of calcium so you dont have to worry about that. Good luck
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• At 11 months I started mixing Vitamin D with formula. I did this until the formula was gone. I have done it with all 3 ids and they all transitioned well.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• mix it and gradually add more cow milk and less formula.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Should wait till the child turn 1. I wont' start the cow's milk any earlier than that. I also went cold turkey on it, i switch and my son took it well.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Just cold turkey. Warm it up slightly, taste sweeter. Always use whole milk unless your doctor says differently. At that age they can handle the fat.
    melissap37

Answer by melissap37 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2008