Your opinion on my baptism party delima

My husband and I are planing our daughters baptism in December. My husband has a very large family and we want to invite them all. The only problem is there is no possible way we could pay for a party with that many people coming. We live in an apartment and we don't know anyone that has a place big enough to host it for us. Would it be horrible if we invited everyone to the ceremony and the just us, the god parents,and grandparents went to dinner after ? I feel horrible about not being able to do a party but its just not financially possible in any way. I was thinking of putting something in the invitations saying that you don't have to bring any gifts. We just want everyone to be there with us on this special day. What do you think ? And please be nice! I already feel bad about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I think that people would understand not having a party. We didn't have one and all three (my hubby me and son) were baptised the same day. The only people that went were my mom and step dad and people from our church and then just us went out for lunch. I don't see a problem with it!!! Its your guys's special day!!!
    LeighAnn0901

Answer by LeighAnn0901 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I think your idea is great! It's not rude if you can't afford it. We don't have family anywhere near us except my parents so they were the only ones present at our son's baptism and we didn't have a party at all, we just went out to lunch. If anyone gets upset and confronts you about why they weren't invited you shouldn't feel obligated to explain your financial situation but if you do it's not like you will be lying! Family should understand...lol right?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• That is exactly what I did! And everyone paid for themselves too! It was us, the Godparents and the grandparents. One of my friend ended up coming and paying for herself and the God father's wife and kids (Hubby's cousin). We were about to move out of state so everyone was cool with it.
    So absolutley I say that is great
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 1:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We had our son's baptism party in the church reception hall. If your church has enough space, I don't see why they wouldn't let you have the party there. As for feeding everyone; I'd do a potluck. Uh oh... is my country bumpkin showing? lol
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have found that when it comes to this kinda thing people will understand and people will help. The same happened with my son !!!!! and I ended up with soooo much food and happiness it was so nice! If you have a close knit family find ppl to help, if not (family too far etc) just do what you need to do and spritually do for your baby and your religious beliefs and have a bar-b-que or potluck later in the year. Pahlease everyone loves an excuse to go to a party whether big or small!
    Ugottahavefrnds

Answer by Ugottahavefrnds at 2:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I agree with the other posters that said to recruit family to help you. If you can come up with enough money to rent a hall (or like the other lady said, use the church after the baptism) have people bring passing dishes. In my family you don't usually even have to ask people for help, when you call to invite they just ask "what can I bring" and whether it is a side, a dessert, cups, plates...they come through. Everyone understands the expense of doing something like this, and you will want it to be a nice day for you and your family to enjoy together. Your idea would definitely work, but don't be afraid to recruit help if you want to do more.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2008